Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cabin Flooring Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
    You say that it 'looks easy'...have you had any actual experience with this?
    Sorry...I misquoted you!

You actually said it looks okay. Have you done this yourself and could you possibly post pictures. This is something I'd like to do if the results are good.

This is a friend's cabin floor done with the garage floor paint. I plan to do it myself after seeing his results.

Attachment 58091

Quote Originally Posted by talkeetnakid View Post
    This is a friend's cabin floor done with the garage floor paint. I plan to do it myself after seeing his results.

Attachment 58091
    I wasn't able to open the attachment but am eager to see it. I got this error:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

blackzzz01, send me a pm with your email address and I will send you a couple of photos.

Sheet vinyl. Inexpensive, water resistant, condensation proof, very durable. Laminate would be my last choice. Carpet is barely better. Sheet vinyl and throw rugs work better than anything. Easy to sweep in the summer, easy to mop in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Sheet vinyl. Inexpensive, water resistant, condensation proof, very durable. Laminate would be my last choice. Carpet is barely better. Sheet vinyl and throw rugs work better than anything. Easy to sweep in the summer, easy to mop in the winter.
    is that the sheetvynal like seat material?
    Semper Fi!

No, I'm pretty sure he means vinyl flooring that comes in large rolls at Lowes, Home Depot, SBS, etc. Bingo, I like the idea in combination with the throw rugs. Inexpensive and durable. I think they even make patterns now that look like hardwood flooring. Do you need to put anything between the vinyl and the OSB subfloor?

Depends on how smooth your subfloor is. The best attribute of sheet vinyl is water resistance for winter use. And easy sweeping in summer. And it goes down FAST! When it needs replacing, use a leveling compound and go over the top of the first layer. It also serves as a vapor barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Is it particle board or OSB? Either way, I would prime it with Kilz II. Top coat with a polyurethane floor paint.
    If I'm not mistaken Kilz II is a water based product. is that ok to use on OSB?

Anchorage Suburbanites and part time Willowbillies.

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    I put Allure in our bathroom in our Willow cabin end of last summer. Installs easy, make sure you keep sharp blades in your razor box cutter. Not much of a learning curve to install. Make sure you keep dirt etc. off the glue strips.

So far it has survived Minus 45 F warming up to +70. Some of the seams come up a little when itís cold, step on them and they reseal when warm. (The instructions say that you should not install if temps go much below freezing).

The seams were tight when installed but they contract and have a small gap when cold they re-expand and re-fill the gaps when it warms up.

I donít think I would use in a very large area due to the seam gaps when cold.

Even though it says that you can place on uneven floor I would make sure floor is as level as possible to avoid breaking when itís really cold. I experimented with a scrap piece and it snapped in half when about minus 20.

So far it has held up well to the moisture and water on the floor around the tub / shower.

In the kitchen / dining area we have a higher quality sheet vinyl that was initially installed in the cabin and it has held up well, (cabin is about 15 years old, and we have had it for nine years). We have the original commercial grade carpet in the living room area that has also held up great. The upstairs bed rooms are painted T&G, some kind of deck paint I think. Same paint in the utility room over OSB both has had no issues. We have four very active boys, a dog, and a lot of guest / kids through out the year and all the floors have done well with not much wear.

An update on the Allure:

When I installed it somehow a section got a small scratch on it. The scratch was about one inch long and was just barely through the surface. It was up to the edge of the plank. I examined it very closely and decided it was no big deal. It is in a place that gets no direct traffic. Well with the freeze thaw cycles that small scratch is now completely through the tile and is getting worse I will likely need to cut out the section and splice in a repair The instructions that came with the product has instructions on how to make such a repair. The rest of the tiles are still working well.

Lesson learned Ė even if it is a small scratch do not install. Although Iím thinking that it may have been ok if it was not on the edge of the tile.

A buddy of mine recently used a floor paint to redo the floors of his cabin. He did this fantastic dark brown color. I was really surprised at how much I liked the look of it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123