Thread: sheep hunting TMA

Default sheep hunting TMA

So I drew a tag for TMA never hunted there before, and I cant afford to fly in. would like to take my grizzly up the tok river. Is that a good way to access that area? would appreciate some advice from someone who has been there

Quote Originally Posted by tastybearmeat View Post
    So I drew a tag for TMA never hunted there before, and I cant afford to fly in. would like to take my grizzly up the tok river. Is that a good way to access that area? would appreciate some advice from someone who has been there
    Lots of country up the Tok. Well established trail all the way to Gillette Pass. Certainly doable. I know of a 39 inch ram taken a few years ago doing exactly what you described. Pick your spots to cross the river carefully.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Was up there last year on Grizzly's...very doable but as mentioned before watch the crossings and the water. The guys that I ran into up there said there are times that the Duece and a half's they drive up barely make it. They said it can change with a rainstorm so much you can get stuck. Our day trip was on a warm day and the water level came up from morning to mid afternoon when the snowmelt increased..so thats another thing to watch!!

Realizie that glacial have a daily pattern: they are usuall lowest in the early AM and highest in late aftrenoon and evening. The warmer the day, or the more showers upstream, the more that they will rise along the lines of that daily pattern.

We flew up the river in 2007. Researched going up with wheelers and it was too hit and miss to take the chance. Good thing we didn't because the river came up and we would have never made it. You might start calculating how much it will be to wheeler up compared to a drop in by 40 Mile Air. It only cost us $850 for drop off and pick up, each, and you know your going to be on a spot, rather than spending days running up. So, figure in the extra day or two, or possibly a lot more by wheelering, the expense, fuel and food for the extra days and the uphill walk you will have once you pick your spot. Don't forget wear and tear on your equipment too!

Just my .02, but it didn't pencil out for me.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Several years ago I went on a scouting mission & made it with a wheeler all the way up to the pass on the Dry Tok. It is as described above when dealing with water levels. I decided to fly in after the scouting mission. One spot inparticular was a very sketchy crossing. The river was braided enough in all but that one spot were it narrowed into one solid channel. At that time there was a very nice guy living just above the confluence of the Tok & Dry Tok. He uses a duece & a half to make runs up & down the river. He was amazed to have company. Very nice guy. Best of luck, but I would pay for the flight in. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    We flew up the river in 2007. Researched going up with wheelers and it was too hit and miss to take the chance. Good thing we didn't because the river came up and we would have never made it. You might start calculating how much it will be to wheeler up compared to a drop in by 40 Mile Air. It only cost us $850 for drop off and pick up, each, and you know your going to be on a spot, rather than spending days running up. So, figure in the extra day or two, or possibly a lot more by wheelering, the expense, fuel and food for the extra days and the uphill walk you will have once you pick your spot. Don't forget wear and tear on your equipment too!

Just my .02, but it didn't pencil out for me.

Claude
    I agree completely with Claude. It's only money and I'd hate to throw that tag away because the water was a little deep. I would like to take the atv in there sometime to look around though.

There was a 44" ram killed last year in the TMA taken on a walk-in hunt. I certainly agree with the others that I would fly in, but there's no question that it can be done without. Still, it's hard to do a fly-in hunt anywhere else in Alaska for under $2,000. What it costs to fly into the TMA is a relative bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    There was a 44" ram killed last year in the TMA taken on a walk-in hunt. I certainly agree with the others that I would fly in, but there's no question that it can be done without. Still, it's hard to do a fly-in hunt anywhere else in Alaska for under $2,000. What it costs to fly into the TMA is a relative bargain.
    and its not the first one either....

I'd also fly in though