Thread: stackable pots

Default stackable pots

What other pots other than the Landers are stackable?Is there any difference in how the square vs round pots fish?

I think you'll find where you drop your pots and what you bait them with has a much, much, much bigger effect on how well they cantch than round vs. square.

I think there is somebody that makes a cheeper rip off of the ladner design, but not as well made. I'm rather fond of my ladners, good pots.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Check out some of my flat folding pots at the outdoors/sportsmens shows this spring

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    What other pots other than the Landers are stackable?Is there any difference in how the square vs round pots fish?
    If you are talking about square Danielsons, they fish much faster, and also leak much faster, than Ladners or other "commercial design" round pots. Danielsons are good for soaks up to about 24 hours, and the then the crab count usually starts to go down. Most of the guys around here (SF) fish Danielsons if they are day fishing, i.e. soaking the pots for 3 - 6 hours. Guys leaving the pots out for a day or more pretty much all fish round pots.

Big_E

Hey Steve, How much is a bucket of bait gonna run us this year? Also, I think I need a lesson on how to braid my 3 strand onto my anchor chain......... Interested in teaching me how?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Hey Steve, How much is a bucket of bait gonna run us this year? Also, I think I need a lesson on how to braid my 3 strand onto my anchor chain......... Interested in teaching me how?
    Maybe this will help? http://www.animatedknots.com/splice/...matedknots.com
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Very cool Thanks a lot.
    MMSI# 338232859

You might want to splice the eye around a thimble and use a shackle to reduce abrasion on your rope vs. directly splicing to the chain.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

potbuilder,
    I wanna pick up a couple pots from you for this spring. Should I just wait for the sportsman show? Will you have just limited quantities their? Ill need everything to go with them to, please let me know what is best. Thanks
    Andy

Paul, I can't use anything like that. It won't run thru my windlass that way. I have a shackle on there now and it gets caught and stops. I figured if I could splice directly on the chain it would make for a smoother transition. Even if I have to redoe it once a year it would be better.
    MMSI# 338232859

Paul, I can't use anything like that. It won't run thru my windlass that way. I have a shackle on there now and it gets caught and stops. I figured if I could splice directly on the chain it would make for a smoother transition. Even if I have to redoe it once a year it would be better.
    You should try put something in there to keep from rubbing through, maybe a chunk of rubber hose or something, I did what you are talking about and after a season, it was wearing through pretty good and I changed to a thimble eye, chain and anchor is not cheap and it would be a shame to lose it.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

This file shows how to do a splice developed specifically for going though a windlass:

http://johndanicic.com/sailing%20pag...7_Splicing.pdf

There is a book at West Marine by Les Paulson or something like that. It has a lot of usefull knots and some just for fun knots. The chain splice works great if you have a davit. I like how clean it is and if you have to retie it after a few years it's no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    potbuilder,
    I wanna pick up a couple pots from you for this spring. Should I just wait for the sportsman show? Will you have just limited quantities their? Ill need everything to go with them to, please let me know what is best. Thanks
    Andy
    I'll have everything at the shows or your more than welcome to stop by the potbarn to get the gear you'll need.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I'm hoping to be able to keep the bait price same as last year but freight fuel surcharges keep going up. I'd be glad to splice your rope to your anchor chain, you welcome to watch me do it but unless your left handed(like me) you won't learn much.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Heat shrink tubing over the splice to protect it maybe...

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.
    MMSI# 338232859

Elim, Sorry about hijacking your thread. I've been using Steves rectangle pots for a few years now. Yeah they take up more space on the boat, but how long are they really on the boat anyway? They usually get tossed first then picked up last. I've heard the round ones catch good too, but I think they like to brag about their stainless pots that cost more.......
    MMSI# 338232859

i ran rounds mixed with rigid squares on many sets and i think that the rigid yield slightly more and they are way easier to empty and bait.