Thread: clanking sound

Default clanking sound

Hello everyone,
    hoping some of the mechanics here can help out. I have a 2006 Grizzly 660 and I'm getting a clanking sound coming from underneath the bike. I'm using it for plowing and notice it more when the I'm pushing snow. As far as I can tell, all the wheels drive and the diff lock works, but I have no idea what this new sound is. Please help me diagnose the problem.

Thanks guys (and gals),
    Bill
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Does it do it in 2 or 4 wheel drive ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Or check your plow mount I know mine comes loose every now and then from the frame

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Does it do it in 2 or 4 wheel drive ?
    Good question. I leave it in 4wd now (since I just use it for plowing) but I'll take it back out and put it in 2wd to see what happens. I'm sure it's not the plow. Whatever it is sounds mechanical
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

grizzly man i hate to be toe one that tells you but it is junk totally worn out so i suggest you go by a new one
    hehehehehe other wise wow if it has them it could be even a cv joint an axel rattling

The reason I asked 2 or 4 wheel is. Some of my older atvs2004-06 the plastic toothed sprocket in the front 4 wheel drive the teeth wear out on them and you hear a pop every now an then. The sound comes from what sounds like the front of the floor boards. if its in 2 wheel drive and sounds just fine then that should be your problem

Check the heat shroud on the exhaust pipe! I had the same thing... (alarming metallic clanking... usually @ idle) turned out I'd lost one bolt and a couple others had backed out a bit. pretty easy fix.

Good luck
    '06 Grizz 660

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Hello everyone,
    hoping some of the mechanics here can help out. I have a 2006 Grizzly 660 and I'm getting a clanking sound coming from underneath the bike. I'm using it for plowing and notice it more when the I'm pushing snow. As far as I can tell, all the wheels drive and the diff lock works, but I have no idea what this new sound is. Please help me diagnose the problem.

Thanks guys (and gals),
    Bill
    very very common problem with this model, its your muffler bearings starting to fail from the condensation of the cold winter running it as a plow vehicle. the condensation creates water , the water creates ice, the ice forms rust ont he bearings, the bearings begin to rust and get smaller in size due to the oxidation, then next thing you know SLOP in the bearing unit itself! when you accelerate back and forth the muffler bangs at bearing connection due to the added slop, only real fix is to replace the muffler bearings before they seperate completly and you have even more problems.

good luck on yoru fix sir.
    Semper Fi!