Thread: A show of hands, please. Who has a Scott freighter in Alaska?

Smile A show of hands, please. Who has a Scott freighter in Alaska?

I'm beginning to get the impression that there are many more Scott freighter canoes up here than we know about. If you have one or used to own one, which model, what do/did you use it for, and power it with? Oh, and where are you located? Thanks.

Used to own one, 8 HP Yamaha 2 Stroke, 12 MPH 8 to 9 cruise initially. Then a 20 HP Tohatsu 4 stroke. Much faster and better fuel
    mileage.

I'm about a 4 year owner of a HB with wood spray rails, 20HP Tohatsu in Palmer. I haven't made any changes to the design other than beefing up the transom a little (although I like reading about all the Modifications on this forum). I take the family out camping/fishing, and run down the Susitna river a half dozen times a year. I got rid of my river boat and bought the Scott because it was more stable having my kids in it and I can haul more weight with it, justa little slower. I've seen one or two on trailers between the Valley and Anchortown but have never seen one in the areas I haunt.

Going on my 4th season with my HB. I started with a 20hp honda. Then Kandik got on here and converted me!
    I'm using a 23hp Mudbuddy now and it's opened up lots of backcountry to me and my Grandsons!
    Have run it at Valdez, Tanana river to Nowitna, george lake , upper Yukon, lake louise , chitna....etc
    The HB is a stable and comfortable boat..Really like mine...Who would have thought you could go so far with 30 gals of gas.

Bought my HB last June. Initially used my 15 hp, 79# Yamaha for power, but installed a MBMini 23 in September. I'd never heard of surface-drive motors until kandik's seminal post 3 years ago, and, he was right. The good S-D motors make great freighters even better. Still learning the rig's abilities, but, intended uses are huntin', fishin' and traveling/exploring. They make real sense here in the interior. The HB/MB is a massive upgrade from the 19' Grumman/lift/15hp it replaced.