Thread: With all this snow.....

Default With all this snow.....

Have any of you seen many/any moose starving and have to be put down yet? I guess it happened the other day in downtown Kenai to a yearling. But I just had a cow in the backyard it it looked healthy as hell.

On Knik Goose Bay Rd, just before the ball field (about the 2 mile mark) there is a carcass of a calf that died there on Thursday. He was laying down when I went past around 8:30 am (had his head up) and when I went past in the afternoon, it looked like he was a goner. Went past again a hour later & there were 2 ravens on him. Today there were 5 or 6 ravens & an eagle on it. Sure is sad to see, but it's nature's rules.

I saw that calf standing on the side of the road last week, it looked like a skeleton with skin hanging on it. I was wondering if that was a dead moose laying there yesterday. I saw all the birds hanging around. Also it's momma was laying there watching. Sad.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I saw more moose killed on the Seward highway from O'Malley to Potter Valley last year than this year. I have seen lots on the side of the road, but they've all looked healthy.

I was just talking about this with a few people this morning. Here in Anchorage, we WERE seeing tons of moose all over the ski trails. They were a bit harder to deal with since they didn't want to get off the trails much and were a daily issue. Over the last two weeks or so, none of us have seen ANY on the trails and few if any tracks. Either they moved off a bit, or they didn't make it. Some were sure looking a bit thin there when we were seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I was just talking about this with a few people this morning. Here in Anchorage, we WERE seeing tons of moose all over the ski trails. They were a bit harder to deal with since they didn't want to get off the trails much and were a daily issue. Over the last two weeks or so, none of us have seen ANY on the trails and few if any tracks. Either they moved off a bit, or they didn't make it. Some were sure looking a bit thin there when we were seeing them.
    With the depth of the snow, it would be no surprise to see them on ANY trail and very reluctant to move off them. It's the same reason that the road & RR kill goes way up during winters of high snow depth. The weaker the moose get, the more reluctant they are to waste energy (what little they have left) on bucking through deep snow. I don't imagine many of you skiers went through the deep stuff to reduce the stress on the moose, did ya? Long periods of deep snow is a killer for most ungaltes. I would think it'll be a couple of years before you have to worry about sharing the trails with moose again.

From my past experience, the starvation in moose doesn't really start showing until the end of March/early April. Down in the Kenai in early 2000 this happened, but starvation and dying wasn't noticable till late. In the early 80's in Fairbanks we had a huge snowfall year and it was also late March/April before it was noticable. 89 had a similar year too, and this is just from my personal observations and experience. The key this year is we haven't had the freezing rain that puts the crust on and makes it really difficult for them to find food and dig down, and it also cuts thier legs. Even on a low snow year, freezing rain puts a serious hurt on them.

Just my .02...
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    With the depth of the snow, it would be no surprise to see them on ANY trail and very reluctant to move off them. It's the same reason that the road & RR kill goes way up during winters of high snow depth. The weaker the moose get, the more reluctant they are to waste energy (what little they have left) on bucking through deep snow. I don't imagine many of you skiers went through the deep stuff to reduce the stress on the moose, did ya? Long periods of deep snow is a killer for most ungaltes. I would think it'll be a couple of years before you have to worry about sharing the trails with moose again.

Good point Gary! Been seeing a lot around the university lake dog park, people have been avoiding them and letting be on the trails. Trails through the woods where the moose hang near the trails often. Little more difficult hiking a bike in there but the moose look content and in no hurry to move. They have been pretty calm even with all the dog activity. One young bull was pretty curious, walking towards a large group of people last weekend. He turned and followed us into the woods. I cut off hauling my bike and keeping the dog with me. The moose started running and took a hard left, I was on the right down the trail a few yards, the main group of people sighed when he turned as they were straight ahead!

I had heard about a bunch of moose dying in the valley in peoples back yards, dad was telling me about it. Not sure on the source of news.

There was a cow about a month ago that collapsed in my sister in-laws front yard. Trooper came and put it down. She may have been older and the winter put her in.

AZinAK

What got up your !@#?

Yes, we went around or turned around all the time. The last thing I want to screw with is a stressed out moose. I enjoy seeing them out there, it is just a bit nicer with lower snow years when they aren't stuck on the trails as frequently as this year has been. It's been a hard year on the moose. By the way, you might want to talk to someone about your issues with skiers...

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    What got up your !@#?

Yes, we went around or turned around all the time. The last thing I want to screw with is a stressed out moose. I enjoy seeing them out there, it is just a bit nicer with lower snow years when they aren't stuck on the trails as frequently as this year has been. It's been a hard year on the moose. By the way, you might want to talk to someone about your issues with skiers...
    I realized that what I wrote wasn't exactly what I meant after I posted.
    Nothing against skiers and I commend you for doing the right thing on the trails. I was trying to comment on "human nature", where we (generally) do what is easiest for us & to heck with whatevers in the way.

I realized that what I wrote wasn't exactly what I meant after I posted.
    Nothing against skiers and I commend you for doing the right thing on the trails. I was trying to comment on "human nature", where we (generally) do what is easiest for us & to heck with whatevers in the way.
    as many have found out, the "heck with whatever's in the way" thing, many times doesn't apply to ornery cow moose in the winter anyway.......lol

boy i bet you could really sneak up on a moose with skiis
    Semper Fi!