Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which snow machine did you put the most miles on? How many miles?

Default which snow machine did you put the most miles on? How many miles?

Figured this would be a good thread.

'93 Indy XLT 9600 miles when if finally broke the crank. I didn't put all the miles on it, but I did do 6000 of them. I dropped a '98 Summit 670X in the Talkeetna River with 3000 miles on the speedo. The speedo froze on the way home and killed it. The new one is over 3000 miles now and my kid is still riding the sled.

I figure my new Bearcat will be my first sled to go over 10,000 miles...in about 2018.

Doug,

That's impressive mileage from your XLT. Was that a 600 or a 500?

I agree with you about your new Utility Machine. With the price these things cost, you'd be crazy to not get your money's worth out of it. Utility machines go 10,000 miles before major servicing. By the time you hit 3,000 miles, you know the machine so well, and have such a keen eye for what to watch for, that you'd be crazy to let it go for a newer machine that you're less familiar with.

It started life as a 580 XLT, bored over to a 600 along the way... went from a 133 to a 136 then a 144 track. Triple pipes at 6000 miles. Custom tunnel and '00 Xtra-Lite skid frame too.

My new to me this year 96 skandic had over 9300 miles on the odo when I got and a broken spedo cable, so not sure how many miles it has on it. The engine was either replaced with a used one with less hours or rebuilt at some point. I just went through the skid with new hyfax, new bearings a few new idlers and new bearings in the jack shaft and drive shaft. Not to mention new carb boots, oh and a used summit paddle track. I'm planning on putting a few thousand more miles on it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

1994 Polaris 440 Sport GT. Had it four years and dropped 12k miles on it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

holy smokes nitro. That's some serious mileage. Paul, what motor does your skandic have? If it's the 380 ( the 377 cc fan), john at 90's n older swears by that motor.

I know this sounds a little off to those who know anything about the 550's, but I bough a brand new 550 Polaris and had it flown to mcgrath in 05. Ran it to Nome following the dog race and back, then used as a trapping machine ever since. Speedo stopped working for most of the winter in 07 around 8k or so. I was not riding it when it burned a piston at 12k but it made it to there as a stock engine. Now that same machine is running around on a different worn out 550 engine and still truckin. God only knows how many actual miles are on that thing now,but its ALOT, in a somewhat short amount of time.
    This should be a interesting thread!

I have a 2010 SWT four stroke and just turned 7,800 miles today. My 2007 Skandik SUV had over 10,000 on it when I put a new motor in it. I have 97 Polaris Widetrack that has over 8,900 on it. My partners 2007 Expediton 4 stroke lost a timing chain and of course the crank at 6,500. Bummer!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    holy smokes nitro. That's some serious mileage. Paul, what motor does your skandic have? If it's the 380 ( the 377 cc fan), john at 90's n older swears by that motor.
    I had the skid replaced twice, but that little motor, the clutches and chaincase never needed anything. I ALWAYS performed routine maintenance on the machine. I think if you were to do a serious poll of high mileage sled operators, you'd find everyone checking things and replacing parts as the wear, not letting anything break to do serious damage.

I have 5700 miles on my 2007 Bearcat and it's on the ORIGINAL belt, slides, clutches. Only replaced one skid wheel and bearing. The upper chaincase bearing failed at 22 miles. Mechanic said he has seen that a couple times in 30 years, bearing was just too hard and they fall apart. Oh, Saturday I put in the second set of plugs, BR9IEX Iridium NGK. The original plugs were getting a little worn.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

My Polaris Widetrack has over 9500 miles and running strong.

It's got the 503 fan engine in it, which is also supposed to be a very reliable mill. The carb boots were starting to crack so I replaced them.

Forgot to mention one of the previous owners wasn't so hot on maintenance. They replaced the bearing on the drive shaft, but when they re-assembled the chain case the knocked the oil seal askew, and put the oil shield on the shaft backwards and didn't properly torque the bolt that holds the bottom gears on. So the chaincase was out of oil, the oil shield ground up the snapring that the bearing is pressed against and one of the gears was pretty chewed up, and the rear hosing was damaged. Fortunately I found a replacement gear at Anchorage Snow Salvage and a rear chaincase housing on fleabay.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Nitro,
    Yes, you're right about having a keen eye/ears to what's going on with your machine. I used to think that 3,000 miles was high mileage, but for most machines used for utility, I've begun to realized that you're only just getting started. This is turning out to be a very informative thread, with alot of guys pushing some serious mileage on their machines. Mcgyver and Alexander, what kind of oil were you guys using in your Polaris Widetraks? I've been running standard Polaris oil for about 3,000 mile, but recently switched to castrol snowmachine oil because it's cheap and I hear good things about it. But mileage speaks volume so I'd certainly like to know what oil you guys run.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Nitro,
    Yes, you're right about having a keen eye/ears to what's going on with your machine. I used to think that 3,000 miles was high mileage, but for most machines used for utility, I've begun to realized that you're only just getting started. This is turning out to be a very informative thread, with alot of guys pushing some serious mileage on their machines. Mcgyver and Alexander, what kind of oil were you guys using in your Polaris Widetraks? I've been running standard Polaris oil for about 3,000 mile, but recently switched to castrol snowmachine oil because it's cheap and I hear good things about it. But mileage speaks volume so I'd certainly like to know what oil you guys run.

I run Penzoil oil in mine. We have a frieght bussiness on the lower Susitna and thus all the miles and work loads on the machines. Like Nitro says the trick is to know your machine. Keep in its power band and haul what the conditions will allow and you will get more miles out of your equipment!

I use Polaris VES. I don't like the smell of Arctic Cat oil. For greasing the bearings I use a low-temp lithium grease, I forget the brand. I shoot a squirt of grease every couple of rides.

2000 Yammie Mountain Max 700 triple... 10,700 and runs like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    2000 Yammie Mountain Max 700 triple... 10,700 and runs like new.
    Sorry for the off-topic hijack....are those Raptors in your avatar? Our cost for freedom and I'll pitch in for another 100 or so.
    So back to subject...most of my miles are on my '02 RMK boondocking, 2000 miles and is now my back-up sled.

10,000 miles on a mountain machine, very impressive AKh. Any details of maintenance, oil used?

Yep, I replace the plugs when it burbles at full throttle.... I also put whatever oil CCL lodge has in stock (Justin (CCL) must have a good eye for oil).

My friend has a 99 same thing with 17,000 on it.... same MX routine.

oh, and aksummit-- yeah, raptors. They were performing the missing man formation for some friends of mine who were killed in a 2010 accident.

8,063 and counting on my '08 Yamaha Nytro MTX (mountain)...a-arm bushings, oil, (Yamaha semi-syn 0-30), grease and gas.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast