Thread: Shrimping around Juneau

Default Shrimping around Juneau

OK - seeing all the shrimping threads got me thinking about taking the plunge this summer.

In recent years - I have been making a couple trips a year to visit friends & family. Once in early June for fishing kings and once at the end of August for silvers.

Is there reasonably good shrimping around Juneau? Good enough to impress my children? We often troll around Shelter Island for kings & silvers and launch from Amelga Harbor.

It's mediocre as shrimping goes around Juneau. There are some good areas, but there are well off the beaten path. They are around that time of year though, so if you dedicate some time and gear, should get some. For impressing kids, dungy pots might be a better bet, or you could do both.

We've been dropping a few pots for dungies the past few years with mixed results.

I made a MAJOR error in taking my little girl to Western Auto last summer and she saw the shrimp pots. Now that we are planning our trips for the summer - she has been reminding me of those shrimp pots she saw and how much she like eating shrimp.

Maybe the first step will be to buy Alaskan shrimp before investing in the pots........

Barlow, Taku Inlet, Taku Harbor, Snett, St. James.

A 60 Fathom set is an R-PITA unless you have a puller.