Thread: Which river out of Bethel

Default Which river out of Bethel

Planning a trip out of Bethel starting around August 4th or so. It will just be my brother and I. We have extensive river boat camping experience and I have a little pontoon/drift boat experience so we should be ok with some moderate white water. Looking for advice on which river to float, we are thinking a 7-8 day float with our time frame. Fishing is our main priority and would like a variety of species to catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'd look into one of the following. i used to live out there and spent a lot of time on these rivers.

-kisiralik river: can get dumped off at kisiralik lake and float back. from what i remember, there are a set of 3 rapids after departing the lake. some folks portage around the nastiest set. that's about the only whitewater you'll run into from there on out. the lake has some big lakers. fishing will be phenomenal throughout the whole trip; huge rainbows, dollies, grayling and salmon. and if you go in august you'll get into some silvers. gold or silver pixies with chartreuse egg inlays on the spincast or eggsucking leaches if throwin' flies. you can arranged to be picked up by 'kuskokwim wilderness adventures' about an hr or so above the mouth; bev hoffman and john mcdonald run it along with bev's bro and his wife. floatin the kusko back to bethel would take a long long time. the mouth of the kisiralik is about an hr and a half by boat from bethel.

-kwethluk river: not sure where you could be dumped off at as i do not think the source is a lake, but rather a series of runoffs. but it's unbelievable and the fishing is as well. a lot less traveled than the kisiralik too. the kwethluk is about 30-40min from bethel. silver fishing is especially good.

-kasigluk river: definitely the least traveled of the 3. this used to be a personal favorite of mine. again, not sure about a drop off point. great fishing. smaller in width and length than the kisiralik. the kwethluk probably is somewhere in the middle of the road. closer in size to the kwethluk though. and no whitewater on either of these.

-aniak: if you can get up to aniak, about 100mi above bethel, i highly suggest the aniak river. i've only been up it about 30mi or so, but man is it awesome. unbelievable fishing, great camping, no pressure whatsoever.

all in all, you can't go wrong with any of these. for what you say that you're doing, time frame and all, i'd suggest the kisiralik. the most popular for sure, but doesn't take away from its qualities at all. i'd definitely look into the kwethluk as well. the kasigluk may prove to be a lot slower and less scenic (some say). regardless, you'll get into world-class fishing whichever one you choose.

i'd get in touch with bev and john to find out more about the kisiralik float. papa bear adventures is another option out of bethel.

hope this helps!

chris

and as far as pick up from the mouth of any of these rivers (aside from the aniak), you should arrange something. the kisiralik is about a 1/4mi above the kasigluk. and the kasigluk is about 20-30min above the kwethluk. and the kwethluk, about 30-40min from bethel. the mouth of the aniak is adjacent to the village itself.

forgot to mention to check into renfro's or yukon helicopters (rattledge is the guy's name) if looking for air service. also, the aniak river begins at aniak lake (which i know papa bear flies into). latest issue of Alaska magazine did a story on the kwethluk. there was some outfitter who was runnin' the show, forgot the name. they also might be a good resource.

If you are looking into the Aniak, check with Rob at Anaik Air Guides.

Default Bethel Float

Check out Papa Bear Adventures. They take a lot of fishermen to the areas mentioned. See their website at Pbadventures.com

Thank you for the advice! Seems like for the handful of rivers we're considering, each one has it's own personality. Now we just need to narrow it down. We're considering the Kwethluk and Kisirilak but are a little concerned with the waterfall and rapids there since there's only the two of us. The Holitna is intriguing also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk