Thread: Nenana river float hunt (Denali hwy to the parks)

Default Nenana river float hunt (Denali hwy to the parks)

I have a question that I hope to get some answers to. Myself and a couple of freinds were thinking about floating the Nenana from the Denali Hwy to the Parks Hwy for this years moose hunt. Trying to get some answers on how the river is that time of year and see if anyone knows how much pressure that area gets. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by agemech24 View Post
    I have a question that I hope to get some answers to. Myself and a couple of freinds were thinking about floating the Nenana from the Denali Hwy to the Parks Hwy for this years moose hunt. Trying to get some answers on how the river is that time of year and see if anyone knows how much pressure that area gets. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Never floated it, but I have seen many moose including bulls along that upper section of the Nenana that parallels the Denali Highway. In fact, I have thought of this same idea. Wouldn't be a very far float though. Maybe you could get flown in and dropped off on a gravel bar further upriver.

Its a very quick trip and there is a tour outfit that runs Jet boats up and down from a camp. I did it in the spring one time hoping to find some bears but it was so freekin hot we didn't see any wildlife at all. It might be worth a try though. Water levels should be fine its still a pretty big river at that point.

Did it in an old aluminum jon boat about 45 years ago. It became a successful caribou hunt. I think it was only 3-5 hours of actual floating. Mostly we used it to access some areas that weren't being tromped through by a lot of other hunters. I doubt that would be true today but I haven't been back.