Thread: Moose calling (not)

Default Moose calling (not)

From reading many post, it appears that calling moose is very popular.

I would be very interested in finding out, if you were not allowed to hunt moose by calling, them what hunting method (legal) would you use and of course why.

If this is a late April Fool's prank, I guess the joke is on you. But this one seems a no brainer, You would hunt them like any other ungulate that's not in rut. Go to suitable habitat, and watch for animals. Most to all of the season in Southwest is not during the rut and in fact most locals are filled up by the last five days, leaving lots of open territory for a caller like myself. If calling wasn't allowed and I was in the rut, I'd look for bedding areas and other cow concentrations and wait for the boys to show up like at closing time at the bar.

There are lots of ways to do it, I prefer to get off the water and scout good lookin meadows but lots of folks cruise rivers, sloughs and lake shores and wait for one to pop out...cut the motor...get a good rest....POW. The venerable Alaskan Swamp Donkey is hardly a cagey critter and is not prone to skittishness....it's pretty much a "see a moose, shoot a moose" situation...just gotta keep it within a packable distance.

Catch It

I agree ...hunt them like any other ungulate

Sit (on a good spot)
    Spot & stalk
    Still hunt
    Float hunt
    Road hunt
    Hell I am in the process of working out the details to train a dog to track moose while on leash (popular in Sweeden)

I was just interested in getting peoples comments, to see which was more popular and why they like hunting that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARBOB View Post
    Hell I am in the process of working out the details to train a dog to track moose while on leash (popular in Sweeden)

Not legal here as far as I know, just FYI...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking

I tried finding moose listed in the yellow pages, but there werent any listings. SO I guess calling is out of the question. Must be on the DO NOT CALL LIST....

What about a digital call like, say, a Foxpro for calling a moose?

Default electronic callers

The are legal to use to call moose. The moose sounds on the fox pro are awful at best, but I am sure to some bull the cow will sound good! I hate electronic callers for moose, but that is my opinion.

Perhaps I just got lucky, but I was calling moose last year with just a scapula banged on trees and one of those fiberglass moose megaphone thingies. The scapula was way more effective but that could have been my grunts. I have had the joys of successfully calling predators, whitetails, turkeys, moose and elk in my hunting career and moose have got to be the biggest suckers I have ever encountered. I'll never hunt seriously before the rut ever again. I wouldn't worry about any electronic calls, that sounds like just more stuff to carry in the woods. I've heard stories of buddies that have actually led bulls closer to the boat using calls and bangin trees while racin towards the water to save pack distances....and I believe it.

I know this thread was supposed to be about alternatives to calling, but what fun would that be. Sittin around swattin whitesox in early Sept. when I could be bangin through the trees in Mid to late Sept with few bugs and makin a ruckus knowing that any hot bull in the area is gonna destroy every tree under three inches gettin at me. Can't wait til this year....

One of my buddies was hunting bou up in Ambler and they went around a corner and a moose in rut decided to attack the boat, needless to say the moose lost to the .270 60" bull too
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.