Thread: Iditarod! Who's your pick to win?

Default Iditarod! Who's your pick to win?

We are lucky enough to live where a lot of mushers train and we have gotten to know several of them, as well as thier dogs! We sponsor several races thoughout Alaska and enjoy the sport from a spectators stand point.

Mike Santos. Rookie last year and we expect him to do well this year. He's got a great team and excellent kennel.

Jeff King. Glad to see him back in the sport. We got a lot of time with him and even were able to run his team this winter! His dogs are probably the most un-tired looking after running the 65 miles from Cantwell all winter. I expect him to be in the running.

Jake Berkowitz. Now here is a nice guy and great teams. He runs three teams in training. Matt Linder and Trent Herbst run his other two teams. They look great when they get to the lodge. I expect to see Jake in the top ten.

Jim Lanier. What a great guy this is! He runs some neat dogs, and he also took Bob on a 30 mile training run this year. You'd thought Bob won the lottery when Jim asked him to go.

Aily Zirkle. The perpetual smile of this lady is infectous! She trains on the highway and I would bet money she's at least top ten this year.

Zoya Denure. We are looking forward to watching one of our own Denali Highway residents do well! I think your going to see her move way up this year as she has been training hard all winter.

Hugh Neff. What a character this guy is! Enjoying life and mushing and Quest Champ. He'll be in the running to win for sure this year.

So, our picks. Jeff King, Hugh Neff, Aily Zirkle and Jake Berkowitz... in that order, is your top 4.

Now let's see how wrong I can be! heh heh!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Good safe picks for top 10 contention I'd say. All look to be strong contenders. Can't rule out the regulars either (PG, Mackey, Baker, Buser). I think we'll see a lot of the young blood moving up this year, there's a lot of up and comings/turned new standards getting more experience every year. I wouldn't mind seeing a youngster plant themselves firmly in front for a decade or so.

I'd love to see Aaron Burmeister or Rohn Buser, up there at the front this year.

I have a feeling that we're not done with Lance yet though. He's my pick to win this year although I think Jeff King could do it if he can keep up with his dogs at the end (I think that's what's really hurt him recently, too much rest at the end). He had a few chances to beat Lance but had trouble dragging out and keeping up at the end, so it would seem to me.

I'd like to see Ryne Olson and Jaimee Kinzer do well on there inaugural runs too.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Go Rohn buddy or papa buser
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Looks like it's going to be a Seavey race after the 24's and start differentials play out. Fun to see the Seavey's and Busers up there (even if the Busers are going to be hours and hours behind after the 24's/SD's).

I haven't ever followed Dallas Seavey, always looked like an arrogant kid to me. After watching a video interview with him I decided I'm going to root for him this year. I hadn't really singled anyone out this year outside of the rookies to root for but got to looking at the Seavey's lately and think it's a good year for them to get in there (of course Mitch is always in there).

Go Dallas!

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    I haven't ever followed Dallas Seavey, always looked like an arrogant kid to me. After watching a video interview with him I decided I'm going to root for him this year. I hadn't really singled anyone out this year outside of the rookies to root for but got to looking at the Seavey's lately and think it's a good year for them to get in there (of course Mitch is always in there).

Go Dallas!

A few years ago, driving back from the Tustumena 200, I had a friend along as a handler who was an Iditarod musher. We stopped at the Seavey's because he wanted to buy a couple of dogs. I spent a couple of hours at their house and met all the kids. Really nice folks and a family with a long Alaskan history. I have been fans of theirs ever since. I have no doubt we'll see Dallas's photo with his leader(s) in the winners circle some day soon.

I would like to see Ramy Smythe win it. He is a hard workin', clean livin' kind of guy who does it the old fashioned way...and a local to boot.

I gotta go with Martin he's my buddy
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

One of my favorite races so far. A whole lot of good races being run and still don't have a clear front runner. Aliy is doing awesome, Dallas is doing awesome, Jeff is doing awesome, Mitch is doing awesome, John is doing awesome, Aaron is doing awesome, DD's doing awesome... and then some...

I think most plan on changing the run/rest schedule around Kaltag, so it's just beginning. A lot of great rookie runs out there too!

Well Dallas did it and Ryne Olson looked like she just got back from Disneyland under the arch, a great rookie run for her. Aliy should be proud.

Yes, it was an excellent race this year! We enjoyed watching it and congrats to Dallas. We'll be hearing his name for a lot of years for sure. Hard working kid!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post

Go Dallas!
    my moneys on dallas again it was in the 2012 race over here in tne uk we have no tv coverage can only follow it on facebook and the iditorod site. we can get the dvd about 6 months later ive listened to the interviews on there he has one hell of a winning attitude and alot of things on his site a good team, 3rd generation of top mushers, hes not only a top musher hes an athelete and he has youth on his site. my partner and my self are coming to alaska for the first time for the start of the race carnt wait its a life time dream of mine to come to alaska i wont want to leave

Quote Originally Posted by sam jackson (england) View Post
    my moneys on dallas again it was in the 2012 race over here in tne uk we have no tv coverage can only follow it on facebook and the iditorod site. we can get the dvd about 6 months later ive listened to the interviews on there he has one hell of a winning attitude and alot of things on his site a good team, 3rd generation of top mushers, hes not only a top musher hes an athelete and he has youth on his site. my partner and my self are coming to alaska for the first time for the start of the race carnt wait its a life time dream of mine to come to alaska i wont want to leave
    It's always tough, esp. with such a big field, but I'd have to guess Lance again, with a possible Quest/Iditarod double. He just won the TOTW 350 in Tok with plenty of gas in the tank with some tough competition, and he's the best strategist in dog racing today. He's looking healthier than last year, too.