Thread: Reloading 7mm-08

Default Reloading 7mm-08

I'm getting my 9yr old daughter a 7mm-08 for moose this year. I've never reloaded for this caliber. Does anyone have any pet loads that would be good for a young girl? I want to be able to manage recoil as much as possible but still have enough down range energy for some swamp donkeys. 200yds should be her furthest shot, if I can't get her inside 200 then i just won't let her shoot.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I don't load for the 7-08, but I have a buddy who has extensively. His wife shot one for years and he has had several others. When I built my dads lightweight rifle in 7-08 that buddy gave me one word of advice,"Varget". He claims to have tried every powder in the book for the various rifles in this caliber he's loaded for and hands down Varget was the winner, velocity, accuracy, everything. So with no firsthand experience loading this cartridge, that's what I will say. Oh and at the speeds possible with the 7-08, the 140 Nosler partition should do all you need and then some.

I have one in a win model 70 and like the kid said varget is a great powder, but mine liked RL-15. They have about the same burn rate so it could just be my rifle. I would shot the 140 barnes TTSX. The barnes sure hold together and I have got them to shot good in every rifle that I wanted to shot them out of.

Varget is the way to go.. But i have also had great results w/ win 760.... I have 2 7-08's they both like the speer bullets & berger bullets.

moose load 160gr speer mag-tip loaded w/ 44gr of 760 winnie brass, fed 210 2685fps
    160 speer BT w/ 45gr of 760 " " " 2725 fps
    145 gr speer grand slam w/47.5gr of 760 winnie brass, fed 210 2810 fps
    145 gr GS or BT w/ 42gr of varget " " " 2767
    140 beger VLD w/ 43gr " " " " 2883

some are MAX loads so BE CAREFULL !! I could not get either gun to shoot nosler bullets .. AND I think barnes are over rated, constructed for the 7-08

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I'm getting my 9yr old daughter a 7mm-08 for moose this year. I've never reloaded for this caliber. Does anyone have any pet loads that would be good for a young girl? I want to be able to manage recoil as much as possible but still have enough down range energy for some swamp donkeys. 200yds should be her furthest shot, if I can't get her inside 200 then i just won't let her shoot.
    Do a search on Hodgdon powder H4895 using their 60 percent rule (only applies to H4895 powder) - good info, worth a look for reduced loads.

Thanks for the info. I have some Varget, RL-15 and some H4895 among others sitting at home. I have some Berger 168's sitting on my reloading bench too but I was thinking about starting her off with something around 140g. The rate of twist is 9.5 so i'll be good with heavier bullets later down the road. I'll be busy loading some of these up once i get back from Afghanistan.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I like the 120gr TSX in my 7mm-08, with RL-15. I have personally taken a moose with this combo, so I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Varget and 140 Nosler Accubonds for me. MV around 2800 FPS and great accuracy out of a Remington 700 MTN rifle. The 120 GR TSX would be a great combo for light recoil and moose penetration.

I loaded up two recipes for my nephews 7mm-08. He took a nice 63" moose with 140gr Partitions. The full story is in the link. the recipes are in the 1st post of that thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...uot-BUll/page2

Thanks Marshall, I may use your load. I usually shoot Bergers but she won't be shooting far enough for them to be usefull, don't need a boattail at 200yds.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Thanks Marshall, I may use your load. I usually shoot Bergers but she won't be shooting far enough for them to be usefull, don't need a boattail at 200yds.
    I love Bergers on paper and long range steel but stopped using them on game last year. The Partition shot very tight in the inexpensive youth rifle and the moose was very dead with a complete pass thru.

I wouldn't use the Berger on Moose from your 7mm-08. I believe you will get best results with a stouter bullet. The 140gr Partition and Accubond, 139gr Interbond, or 140gr A-Frame are all excellent options for moose with a lighter bullet. If the shooter can withstand more recoil the 150 and 160gr offerings of the same would be your best choice.

Varget, IMR-4350, and H-4895 have all performed well in my loads with 139-154gr bullets. Varget works well with light deer loads using 120gr BTs.

I would have to disagree w/ ANGCorsair on the berger bullet. Proof is in the pudding

Bull elk @ 203 yards quartering to me complete pass through: shoulder blade, ribs, lungs, heart. It look like a grenade went off inside him. Elk arguebably one of the toughest split hooved animals around !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1329.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	58051 140 gr berger VLD That is the exit wound you see in the photo...

I use Bergers in my 7mm RM and 300WSM and haven't had any issues with them. I've been thinking about maybe some TTSX also.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    I would have to disagree w/ ANGCorsair on the berger bullet. Proof is in the pudding

Bull elk @ 203 yards quartering to me complete pass through: shoulder blade, ribs, lungs, heart. It look like a grenade went off inside him. Elk arguebably one of the toughest split hooved animals around !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1329.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	58051 140 gr berger VLD That is the exit wound you see in the photo...
    I can't argue with your success. I just don't trust the mechanics of their theory of operation. A bullet that is designed to penetrate a little bit and then expand violently gives me apprehension. I feel there is a higher chance of things not happening "just right". I prefer bullets that are designed to expand during penetration, retain their mass and penetrate deep. YMMV

Nice bull!

Quote Originally Posted by ANGCorsair View Post
    I can't argue with your success. I just don't trust the mechanics of their theory of operation. A bullet that is designed to penetrate a little bit and then expand violently gives me apprehension. I feel there is a higher chance of things not happening "just right". I prefer bullets that are designed to expand during penetration, retain their mass and penetrate deep. YMMV

Nice bull!
    Fair enough !

I got some 140g Partitions on the way. I think I'll try them with the Varget first. If this rifle shoots good I may have to get one for myself too. No, I can't shoot hers, she's making me duracoat it pink.