Thread: Curiousity

Default Curiousity

I was wondering if any of you know of a product similar to the military and police "flash-bang" grenades that someone could use to scare off a bear without loading a handgun (with it's limited ammo supply) with a blank. I'd like to have my gun fully loaded, but still give the bear one last chance to turn and run. I was thinking of using a firecracker like a cherry bomb, but I would have to light it and that takes some time (and two hands). I was also thinking of carrying a start pistol for this but I don't know how feasible that is. If I had something I could just toss out in front of Mr. Bear that would go bang and scare him off, we'd both walk away winners.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Default just fire in air-

If the bear is far enough away a shot in the air may do the trick and then you already have the gun in your hand if it doesn't. You don't have to worry about the first round being a blank if you don't get time to fire the warning shot.

Quote Originally Posted by FbksFishinFool View Post
    I was wondering if any of you know of a product similar to the military and police "flash-bang" grenades that someone could use to scare off a bear without loading a handgun (with it's limited ammo supply) with a blank. I'd like to have my gun fully loaded, but still give the bear one last chance to turn and run. I was thinking of using a firecracker like a cherry bomb, but I would have to light it and that takes some time (and two hands). I was also thinking of carrying a start pistol for this but I don't know how feasible that is. If I had something I could just toss out in front of Mr. Bear that would go bang and scare him off, we'd both walk away winners.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I've never seen anything in a handgun I'd consider more than a fartinthewind. The closest is probably a cracker shell in a 12 gauge, and those have severe limits. Lotta bears just aren't bothered by them unless they go off really close. And you have another problem. If they go off behind the bear, there's a very good chance you'll spook it right over the top of you. Standard prescription for crackers is to shoot them into the ground in front of the bear, but I've had them ricochet over the bears even then. And a shot in the air is back in the poof of methane in the wind category. I've launched two 375 H&H rounds from 30 feet an inch or two over the head of one nasty sow, basically right between her ears, and she didn't even flinch.

I've heard great reports from folks using 12 gauge flares from standard plastic flare guns, but the folks I know personally who are making the reports are no one I'd consider reliable in lots of other aspects of life, so kinda doubt their enthusiasm with the flares too. I've never tried them, nor been inclined to based on my impression of the reporters.

I've used the 12 gauge flares, they worked very well for me. My Dad used to carry a small version that was about the size of a sharpie marker and would fit in his shirt pocket. I've shot rifle / pistol rounds near bear just to have them look at me, every time I've shot a flare they leave on the run.

We burn them in the arse with a load of #4 Nitro Steel. But if you're gonna do that make sure you use a short barrel with an open choke and at least 25 yrds of distance to allow the pattern to open up a bit and spill off some velocity. My rule is 25-35yrds.
    Now what ?

tvfinak, this is exactly what I did on my first bear encounter. I had a shotgun I brought up with me to Alaska and we stopped at a campground to take a potty break. We came upon this blackie on our way to the facilities and I fired one round (birdshot) in the air and had the gun leveled and ready should the bear decide he wasn't impressed. Fortunately for both of us, he was.

My thanks to all who replied. The thought of using a flare worries me...I don't need to scare the bear off with a wildfire! I guess the best solution would be loading the first round as a "blank" in my shotgun. It has worked in the past and if I have to get more serious, I have the firepower right there ready. I just need to get a suitable sling so that I can carry it in front of me "patrol" style.

Default May work - or may not

A couple of years ago I watched a young male brown bear charging a dog tied to a log by the river bank. The dog had been barking at the bear and the bear was clearly POed. I was thinking the dog was goner-when the owned shouted and fired a large handgun in the air about 50 ft away. . The bear turned his charge and disappeared into the brush.

Like mutual funds - past performance is no guarantee of the future- but I've seen a shot in the air work.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've never seen anything in a handgun I'd consider more than a fartinthewind. The closest is probably a cracker shell in a 12 gauge, and those have severe limits. Lotta bears just aren't bothered by them unless they go off really close. And you have another problem. If they go off behind the bear, there's a very good chance you'll spook it right over the top of you. Standard prescription for crackers is to shoot them into the ground in front of the bear, but I've had them ricochet over the bears even then. And a shot in the air is back in the poof of methane in the wind category. I've launched two 375 H&H rounds from 30 feet an inch or two over the head of one nasty sow, basically right between her ears, and she didn't even flinch.

I've heard great reports from folks using 12 gauge flares from standard plastic flare guns, but the folks I know personally who are making the reports are no one I'd consider reliable in lots of other aspects of life, so kinda doubt their enthusiasm with the flares too. I've never tried them, nor been inclined to based on my impression of the reporters.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK