Thread: Muskox hunt spring 2012

Default Muskox hunt spring 2012

We left Valdez on a Monday and stayed the night with friends in Wasilla. Turns out the Wasilla Sportsman's Warehouse is the only place, other than the fish and game office, that carries the locking tag for muskox. We stayed in Anchorage one night and got our 6:40 AM flight and arrived in Bethel at 8 AM only to be put on hold due to weather and runway conditions. We finally made it to MYU at about 2:30 that day (Wednesday). We spent the afternoon getting our gear sorted and visiting with the transporter, Abe David, and his family.
    We left MYU on snow machines at around 11 AM the following morning (Thursday). Marianne fueled up the sleds before we left, but one was the wrong one. My partner Dave was riding it, an older 340, and had a little mechanical trouble so Abe ended up riding that one. The upside is that Abe let him ride the nice new 700 Polaris with suspension. I was riding a brand new Polaris Shift, nice ride for a preggo mama. Needless to say, Abe was a bit stove up the next day, but I think we all were. I appreciated the fact that Abe riding the older beast in the lead on the rough terrain kept our speed down to a nice pace for me.
    We rode about 90 - 100 miles total. We saw one pretty big bunch, maybe 20 animals, but they were on a hill and took off running. Abe said the hills are icy so we kept looking. I didn't want to get myself in a bad situation being 7 months pregnant. We went another 10 miles or so to some dunes on the spit, and came upon several small groups. Distance is deceiving there! Even with flat light, those dunes that looked like they were "just over there" seemed to be much farther, maybe 5 or more miles? We got to the dunes and saw several smaller groups... Take your pick! At this point Abe falls back so Dave and I can hunt. I left it up to Dave because he is the more experienced hunter and he had his binocs. He chose the group furthest south and we went in, finding 5 bulls bunched together. 4 nice ones and a young one, still lots of fuzz on his head. We rode closer to them then we got on one machine and had to reposition several times waiting for the shot at the bull I picked out. Without fail they would line up and I couldn't get a shot. But they stand their ground, don't run too far. It gave me time to really look at the animals and pick out the one I liked the best, the straightest boss, nicest coat and nice horns with black tips. He liked staying in the middle always protected. He knew he was something! But finally, the bulls on the ends separated and my guy turned broadside. Clear shot, no chance of hitting another one by accident.
    We were packed up and under way at 5:35 PM. We stopped several times and Abe took some nice pictures, including a partial sundog which I will have to get from him because our camera was packed away under the tarp in the sled. Beautiful sunset too. We arrived back to Mekoryuk at around 7:30 or 8, all of us pretty spent. We wolfed down the wonderful chicken dinner in silence.
    We decided the next morning that we should get out while the getting was good so we arranged to be on the plane at 10:30. We made it back to Anchorage that day but our gear and meat and one gun case stayed the night in Bethel. We saw them put it all on the plane then we watched them take it all back off. This was probably mostly due to the fact the Fur Rondy was starting and planes were full. Everything was in Anchorage by 1:30 the next day and everything we had marked FREEZE was stored accordingly. In all we had 3 coolers, two 24 gal action packers and 2 XL duffles, plus gun cases. The meat fit nicely in the coolers, just over 200Lbs, and the front cape fit into an action packer, the rear and the horns into one of the XL duffles. The other action packer and duffle were our gear.
    If you're looking for a transporter I highly recommend Abe David of Nunivak Island Experiences for his hospitality and knowledge of the animals and the island, not to mention his entertaining stories. He was aware that I was 7 months pregnant and took good care of us. He shared some video with us from some of his past clients that were helpful as well. His number is 827-2002. If I get the opportunity to do this again I will definitely go with Abe.

Awesome, thanks for sharing the hunt of a life time!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Congrats. Of all the hunts I've done, Nunivak Ox maybe one of the favorites. I too went with Abe, and I consider him a friend today.

Enjoy the great meat, which I had some right now.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Good write up now for the pictures.

Krista that is a great writeup welcome to the forum and congrats on your muskox!! Where are the pictures?

Thanks for sharing, Krista! What a story you'll tell your kid someday; that you were in one of the most remote places in North America, hunting a relic of the ice age, with him/her bouncing along for the ride!
    I too went with Abe, along with my female partner. She got a great bull with her bow. I ended up taking mine with a pistol. Abe did get us on the ox, at the very southern tip of the island, in the huge dunes, shaped by the wind and waves of the wild Bering Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapak View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Krista! What a story you'll tell your kid someday; that you were in one of the most remote places in North America, hunting a relic of the ice age, with him/her bouncing along for the ride!
    I too went with Abe, along with my female partner. She got a great bull with her bow. I ended up taking mine with a pistol. Abe did get us on the ox, at the very southern tip of the island, in the huge dunes, shaped by the wind and waves of the wild Bering Sea.
    That's exactly where I got mine, just about a week after yours.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Default Video

Quote Originally Posted by Trapak View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Krista! What a story you'll tell your kid someday; that you were in one of the most remote places in North America, hunting a relic of the ice age, with him/her bouncing along for the ride!I too went with Abe, along with my female partner. She got a great bull with her bow. I ended up taking mine with a pistol. Abe did get us on the ox, at the very southern tip of the island, in the huge dunes, shaped by the wind and waves of the wild Bering Sea.
    Trepak, I saw your video! Sounds like the same place I got my muskox, out on the spit?

Default photos

I'm still new to this forum thing. There are a few photos in my profile, I don't know if they are viewable by the public? If not I'll see if I can add some to this string.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default a couple more photos

I fiugred it out. :-)

Thank you for sharing Krista. What an awesome experience!

Abes got it rough...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Great pictures Krista!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Krista View Post
    Trepak, I saw your video! Sounds like the same place I got my muskox, out on the spit?
    Great photos Krista! What a great hunt and memories that you'll be sharing. Sure love to see the women-folks out there getting it done! Mary and I got our musk ox a little east of where you got yours from what you described. We played hide and seek with them for about an hour in the huge dunes. They ended up running off the island, heading for the mainland. Even though Abe warned about staying on the island, I made a huge circle out on the uncertain ice and got them headed back to the island and up into the dunes again. At last they made their stand together and we each got a nice bull. Hope your were able to record your hunt as well.

I never got real excited about musk-ox until I drew the tag and went to Nunivak this year. Now I'm hooked. They're are flat out amazing and beautiful animals. So whether a draw tag or a trip out of Nome, I'll be trying hard to get out again in the next few years.

Very nice ox, congratulations.

Nice to see a few more pictures! You're doing a half mount right? I need to get hold of Abe for the boy's hunt next spring now that I'm home. See ya in a couple weeks.

Default Great Memories!

Your hunt brings back great memories of my hunt on Nunivak a few years back.