Thread: Etolin Elk

Default Etolin Elk

Latest elk count is 145 mostly south end.55 on Zerembo and at least 2 on Wrangell
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well thats down significantly from it's peak estimate of 450. Durring the hey day many tag holders had success. Now days it's very very low. They are still there and with what i've read published by the biologist I'll be focusing my efforts to the southern end 100%

How long ago was this survey done? Last week had one really nice clear day and that would have been perfect for aerial survey work.

And ??????? on POW.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    and ??????? On pow. :d
    ssshhhhh..........

BH it was recent.The folks were in town last week and gave a talk on the whole project from begining to now. They will be trying to tag more this spring for tracking
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Interesting. Based on the success had by hunters this last year, you'd think the numbers would be higher than that.

How many are on Prince of Wales ?

I have heard talk for many years of sightings. But no one has ever turned in a kill, IIRC. I remember back during the transplant and the management meetings we had that some of us wanted an open season ALL year on the Island but the Troopers said that would lead to even more Deer poaching. So the ANY Elk during Deer season rule was made.

I know trappers that have traveled many miles all winter on snowy roads for many years that have never cut one Elk track.

I have also heard the rumors of Elk sighted by the herd up around Exchange Cove.

I did have a hunter several years ago that ID'd an Elk track in the Hollis area (later a Moose was filmed in the area). And a couple winters ago someone driving to the ferry in the morning dark said he sighted some Elk in the road near the Maybeso bridge.

Strange no pics or movies have ever been taken of Elk on the Island .... seems like the Moose on Prince of Wales (what few there are) seem to be ID'd with hair sample from an auto collision and even several pics and movies. Even the only Mt Lion (believed) on Revilligigido Island was sighted and photoed by a hunter.

A few years back a Trooper had a cub on POW Island and flew several years a whole lots on the island. Spotted lots of stuff but never any Elk.

I keep a slight hope that one of these years I'll be alpine hunting, and have a big bull elk show up in my binos. And then I better have some good buddies on speed dial to help with the pack out! haha

Ya, if sucessful my back is going to hurt for a week or so. I'll be laying to it and hope to find em. I've been given some good sugestions to date. With such a small estimate finding a herd is going to be as much luck as skill on that big rugged wild island. I'm prepared for the challenge. If all else fails I'll be roaming the alpine with nice sitka bucks around. 270TI, PM me, I'd be curious to know how you would hunt it given the chance.

We are lucky to have so many deer on Etolin or the elk would be gone.Folks miss the boat when they take Etolin out of bear/wolf hunting trips.The logging roads are full of them durning fawning time.

Amigo .... i was just thinking that. I was wondering what they said was happening to the recrutment. The hunter kill is only a small piece of the pie.

And one of the reasons that Etolin was chosen for the spot to put those Oregon Elk was low Wolf densities compared.

I wonder if the Elk generations became less Wolf / Bear smart or Wolf / Bear became more Elk smart. Or more Elk = more Wolf = less Elk.

IIRC ... once the herd had reached 200 then it's population would take off good, was the reasoning. I do remember that at first the Wolf / Bear pounded on the transplants so hard that the transplant was considered just another SE Elk transplant epic-fail.

The Etolin elk don't move much for sure.In another place the elk would cover the whole island range for different food sources but these stay put pretty much.As new wolf packs develope they have to move to the elks area and it looks like these new small groups don't fair well with only elk as food. The south and north ends of the island are really different worlds.I'm sure folks take more elk by chance than folks with tags.

Are there any outfitters that guide hunts on this island? I drew the elk archery hunt and I just found out my buddy I drew with is deploying pretty hard to hunt it alone. Thanks in advance for any help

Amigo, I think you are on to something there with the wolves. Yet I think one of the main problems is that there used to be a few guys (that were good trappers) that pulled wolves off that Etolin every year. Now I can't confirm that there arn't people trapping there now but if they are they arenít pulling the # of wolves off that used to get pulled off of there when wolf pop. was supposedly low.