Thread: customizing a 7mm-08

Default customizing a 7mm-08

I have a model seven 7mm-08. It's a little bit older gun with blued barrel and wood stock. I have thought about turning it into a light weight sheep gun. It's already short and very packable. What would it take to put it in a light weight synthetic stock or even putting a new barrel on it? Is a new stock something I can order off the internet and switch right out or is it something I should leave to a gunsmith.

I rareley shoot over 400 yards so I think it would be a good caliber?

(ok, it's actually my wifes rifle but she rarely sheep hunts so she won't mind a few changes)

What's your thoughts?
    Costs involved?
    Any good gunsmiths in Anchorage area?

A model Rem model 7 is a good foundation to build a custom rifle from. How much you do to a rifle will depend on your budget bottom line. A top end barrel from one of the better (best) barrel makers (Lilja, Krieger, Shilen, Brux) will run you about $350 plus shipping. Though Krieger and Brux won't contour any SS barrel down below a number 4 contour in a 7MM caliber, so that pretty much leaves Lilja or Shilen as your barrel makers if you want a SS barrel (again if you want the top end companies). Krieger is about a 7 month wait right now, the others are about 4 months.

To have the barrel installed/chambered on your action about another $300, to true your action another $250.

A good lightweight stock is made by High Tech and they make a Sheephunter model for a Rem 700 that can be converted to the model 7 Rem. These stocks run about $300 plus the bedding job about $100 and if you want it pillar bedded about $225 (instead of the $100 for a standard bedding job). Add another $75 for a recoil pad installed on your stock. A good paint job for your stock is about another $125.

There are other stocks that are kinda "bolt" on, but they have a lot to be desired, and they are far from "lightweight"

The above quotes will get you a bare bones "lightweight" custom gun, in your choice of short action calibers (to make it a WSM cartridge add another $400 in action machining costs). Another nice touch is getting the gun coated, I would recommend Cerakote over any other coating out there. It is hands down the best going. That is about $225 for a basic one color on ALL the metal components of the rifle (not the trigger, or close tolerance parts, microslick is applied to the close tolerance parts, NOTHING on the trigger parts or down the barrel). To have the caliber engraved on the new barrel, about $50

If you are not a handloader, the 7mm-08 or 260 Rem are very good sheep hunting rounds. But if you are a handloader, in your Rem 7 push feed rifle, go with a 7mm-08 Ackley Improved. I have a couple of these rifles, one in a Kimber Montana, and another in an AII Sako action. With 22" barrels I am getting 3022 FPS with a 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet. Very easy round to load for, very accurate round.

To answer your question on doing it yourself, if it is just the stock fitting and bedding, yes you can do it yourself. Though bedding rifles correctly is a tricky job, especially to do it right, and making them look good. Bedding is one of the three "B"'s in rifle accuracy (Bedding, Barrel, Bullet) and take one of these "B's" out of the accuracy equation, and most guns won't shoot. Unless you have a lot of rifles to do, and get practice doing them, I would recommend someone doing it for you. If you decide to go the custom barrel route, this is pretty much a gunsmith only job.

I don't have a clue for gunsmiths in Anchorage. When are you returning from Afghanistan? PM me and I will give you suggestions in the Fairbanks area.

Anyway, I have built about 48 full custom rifle builds on Remington, Winchester, Kimber and Sako actions all for mountain game hunting like what you plan for this particular rifle. PM me if you have more specifics on any of the above suggestions I have made to you, I will go into more detail. Take care, be careful over there.

SHA

Thanks, PM sent.

Did I meet you last year at 40mile air in Tok?

I took a LH rem700 308 & put a factory 7-08 barrel on it w/ a MPI stock. Had Extreme rifle work square the action to the barrel & bed it to the stock. shot 140gr berger vld hand loads & get awesome results out to 800 yards. The gun will shoot rag holes @ 200 yards & 3 shot 6" groups @ 700 yards on a good day of my abilities. I believe one needs to look no futher than the 7-08 !!

I plan on a light weight 7-08 some day. I have a Mod. 7 predator in .243 Win. that I have never fired and wish it was a 7-08. I want a 22" barrel and a bolt that locks down when the safety is engaged and I don't trust the older Rem. trigger, so I am not sure what rifle it will be. For some reason that cartridge appeals to me, it just looks like a lot of "bang for the buck".

I personally think sheephunteralaska has the right idea - there are other barrelmakers who make good barrels like Douglas but he obviously knows his stuff - You would not be disappointed going with the 7mm-08 AI either, an EXCELLANT round - I am looking for a Kimber Montana to do the very same thing he did right now

I have heard good things about Schneider. Might be worth a call. http://schneiderriflebarrels.com/

When it comes to stocks, I'd look no further than McMillan and get pacnor to dube your current barrel contour or go with the mountain rifle barrel profile, in stainless.

My only real issue with the M7 is it's center of gravity. COG is far back enough that the gun feels "whippy" to me when shooting offhand, kneeling and prone without a rest, which I do a lot. I don't mind the weight as-is, but if I restocked with a lighter stock I'd rebarrel for a little more barrel weight. It just makes a gun more versatile for me if it's a good performer from field positions as well as from a benchrest. And not all sheep shots are made from a rest.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    My only real issue with the M7 is it's center of gravity. COG is far back enough that the gun feels "whippy" to me when shooting offhand, kneeling and prone without a rest, which I do a lot. I don't mind the weight as-is, but if I restocked with a lighter stock I'd rebarrel for a little more barrel weight. It just makes a gun more versatile for me if it's a good performer from field positions as well as from a benchrest. And not all sheep shots are made from a rest.
    Me too.

It's a purty light weight gun as it is. You could water-proof the gun and action and use like is now.

It's probably got a 20 inch barrel, and If I did anything, I replace the barrel with one that was, at least 22 inches.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Me too.

It's a purty light weight gun as it is. You could water-proof the gun and action and use like is now.

It's probably got a 20 inch barrel, and If I did anything, I replace the barrel with one that was, at least 22 inches.

Smitty of the North
    Yeah, I'd happily double group size from the bench while cutting my offhand groups in half. My most accurate 7x57 won't usually break 2" at 100 from the bench, but it fits me so well and balances so well offhand that in the field it outshoots anything else I own. I like it for that, and use it more than any other gun.

I wouldn't get a new barrel. Just find a gunsmith or shop that does high quality powder coating and get the blued barrel coated. I just finished a custom project. Started with a Rem m700 classic in 300sav and it came out like so. I think I'm going to sell the tan McEdge stock and get one in OD green. The powder coat came out way darker than I expected. Work was done by Corlane's in BC (so not a possibility for you guys). But something to think on anyway. Powder coat was $275

Base layer: Remington m700 Classic in .300 Savage
    Mods:
    'Iron' shade powder coat
    4" bbl chop to 20"
    Bolt flute
    Gretan pin & shroud
    Glass bedded tan McMillan Mountain EDGE

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    I wouldn't get a new barrel. Just find a gunsmith or shop that does high quality powder coating and get the blued barrel coated. I just finished a custom project. Started with a Rem m700 classic in 300sav and it came out like so. I think I'm going to sell the tan McEdge stock and get one in OD green. The powder coat came out way darker than I expected. Work was done by Corlane's in BC (so not a possibility for you guys). But something to think on anyway. Powder coat was $275

Base layer: Remington m700 Classic in .300 Savage
    Mods:
    'Iron' shade powder coat
    4" bbl chop to 20"
    Bolt flute
    Gretan pin & shroud
    Glass bedded tan McMillan Mountain EDGE

That rifle turned out nice. Why no just re-paint the McMillan instead of replacing it with one with a different paint color? I bet some 130gr Barnes TTSX bullets would be deadly in that rifle!

Nothing wrong with a custom gun but for not much more than the cost of Kreiger barrel job you can buy a Tikka Lite SS 7-08 or 6.5x55 that will pretty much shoot inside of a sheep heart at 400 yds or less and spend the money you save on great piece of glass and fly out trip....unless money is no issue for you.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Nothing wrong with a custom gun but for not much more than the cost of Kreiger barrel job you can buy a Tikka Lite SS 7-08 or 6.5x55 that will pretty much shoot inside of a sheep heart at 400 yds or less and spend the money you save on great piece of glass and fly out trip....unless money is no issue for you.
    Thanks for all the help guys. I need a light weight sheep/goat and black bear gun so I appreciate all of the responses. At this point I'm thinking hard about a Tikka lite in 270wsm or a tikka superlite in 270. I've never had a custom gun either so it's always good to look at my options. I have plenty of time to decide with spring bear and summer fishing season cancelled this year.

Well, I could paint it. But I'm not really good with that kind of thing.

The Tikkas are nice guns. I had one in 270. I sold it because I was broke and I didn't really like shooting it. Very snappy. They are probably the best lightweight off the shelf gun for mountain hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    Well, I could paint it. But I'm not really good with that kind of thing.
    McMillan will repaint it for about $60 (haven't checked in a year or two) and it'll look like new.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.