Thread: Oleo Strut vs Spring Aluminum Gear

Default Oleo Strut vs Spring Aluminum Gear

What do you think is better Oleo or Spring Aluminum. The Oleo seem to have better payload ratings.

From a mechanics standpoint, spring steel or tube is a not as high maintenance. Oleo has o-rings that wear out and need to be replaced, fluid that needs topping off or changing.

From a pilot view not much difference at all. The 206 uses sping steel and can haul whatever you can squeeze in the door.

What brings this up? Is it a deciding factor on a purchase?

Sounds like somebody's looking at a Maule brochure.

Moving to Alaska in 3yrs to become a bush pilot. May not make much, but gotta do what ya like. I have been looking at Maule site. I like to plan ahead and dream. Just seeing what options I have.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Shooter View Post
    What do you think is better Oleo or Spring Aluminum. The Oleo seem to have better payload ratings.

The flat steel landing gear of the Cessna line will certainly accept the Gross Certificated Takeoff Weight of the model it's bolted to. My own experience showed me that the oleo strut can fail, which doesn't make your flying day any better.

I recall that the landing gear is stressed for higher G-factors than the wings, at any rate.

Finally, look at what most of the really serious bush pilots are flying. It wouldn't be a bad idea to profit from their mistakes, rather than to make all of them youself. And you can expect to make at least a few, but the selection of your flying equipment doean't have be one of them.

Default Oleo vs Spring

Looking at the Maule from an experienced Maule pilot, the spring gear is for those pilots who wish to rebuild their aircraft in a hurry. This only relates to the Maule, not Cessna or any other spring gear which works great. The spring gear on a Maule is very unforgiving and reduces your payload by 80#. Get the oleo struts and put on a pair of safety cables.