Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament info

Default Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament info

Greetings all,
    I'm a board member on the Homer Chamber of Commerce and wanted to get you the best information on the upcoming one-day Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament.

This year's tourney is a week earlier than usual because of a hockey tournament on the 24th. So, the scoop is:
    Saturday, March 17th, lines in at 9AM, out at 4PM.

Because of unusual ice conditions in the harbor the tournament committee will be checking the weather forecast (and harbor ice) and make an announcement by the 13th if the tournament needs to be postponed. Then the event will probably take place the following weekend on the 24th.

Here's the link to the Winter King Tournament page on the HCOC website. It has downloadable entry forms, rules, etc. Or you can call the Chamber at 907-235-7740 and the staff can take a credit card and sign you up. You don't need to have your fishing license number when you call, but you absolutely need a license and king stamp when you get on the boat to go fishing. You will need to know the name of the boat you're fishing on when you sign up.

The event costs $100 to enter. For that price you get a chance to win prizes (announced every 15 minutes over the VHF, food and beer at the post-tournament party, one-day launch pass, and lucky salmon bead necklace to bring on your boat to rub.

The Chamber can also help you find a boat to go out on (my boat is already booked). Lately per person prices for a charter boat participating in the tournament start around $300.

Last year's winner, Mike Walls, took home over $30k. Here's a link to a video I put together for the Chamber of last year's tournament.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask...jim

Default Harbor

So the harbor is frozen pretty good? Is there a webcam of the harbor?

Default Wedn 29th Harbor pic

2012-02-29_.jpgfrom the air by my son Wed afternoon

There are no webcams showing the harbor. When I want info I call the harbormaster and they are great with information on condition of the ice in the harbor and the entrance. 907-235-3160. Also, here's the city website with current Spit weather.

I was just down to the harbor 4 hours ago. The launch area is open, but 1/4 of the main channel and slip fingers is still froze in pretty good. It looks like solid ice, no sign of it breaking up in this area. I do believe that if one of the bigger commercial boats came down the main channel, a couple of times it would open up and a guy could get out with causation. The barge ramp is still doable, best on a high tide.

As for a web cam, as far as I know there is not one. Never found one anyway.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Because of unusual ice conditions in the harbor the tournament committee will be checking the weather forecast (and harbor ice) and make an announcement by the 13th if the tournament needs to be postponed. Then the event will probably take place the following weekend on the 24th.
    are you kidding!?
    the decision has nearly ALWAYS been made the morning of the derby, unless the harbor was obviously rock solid. We all know lots can change in a couple days with the right wind and tide, and the weather forecast is never what you base a judgement on 4 days in advance.
    Get a big boat to break the ice up the day before... that's how it used to be.
    this is just what happens when you let the chamber take over what used to be a primarily local event.
    my .02
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Because the tournament is a week earlier than usual this year the derby committee is making sure folks from out of town don't have to make the trip down here just to have it cancelled.

I just spoke with Matt at the Harbormaster office and they are using the the two harbor boats to try to break up the last 50-60 foot chuck of 6-inch ice blocking the fairway. He's says they are very close. But he says the moorage is limited because of ice around the fingers.

Matt said there is always the option you mentioned of having a bigger clear the fairway right before the tournament if needed. The problem again is that a big boat pushing 6-inch chunks around can damage boats in their stalls, or the fingers themselves.

But you're right, anything can happen in the next couple of weeks.

The 24th would work out so much better for me, I will still try to make it on the 17th though.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I just spoke with Matt at the Harbormaster office and they are using the the two harbor boats to try to break up the last 50-60 foot chuck of 6-inch ice blocking the fairway. He's says they are very close. But he says the moorage is limited because of ice around the fingers.

Matt said there is always the option you mentioned of having a bigger clear the fairway right before the tournament if needed. The problem again is that a big boat pushing 6-inch chunks around can damage boats in their stalls, or the fingers themselves.
    Then, of course, there are the few idiots like myself that decided to leave their boat in their slip during the beautiful weather we've had this winter whose boats are now thoroughly ensconced in that 6" thick layer of ice. AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Then, of course, there are the few idiots like myself that decided to leave their boat in their slip during the beautiful weather we've had this winter whose boats are now thoroughly ensconced in that 6" thick layer of ice. AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!
    Dave, I'll be around the harbor getting my boat shipshape over the next few days, if you need a hand trying to bust ice and get the pretty penny turned around let me know.

Charterboat Operator

Having the derby on St Patrick's day!!!! WooooHoooo should be entertaining up at the way in!! there may or may not be a little Jamison's consumed threw out the day!!!!!

The tournament committee met this morning and the 19th annual WKST is a go for March 17th. The only reason we'd call it early would be if conditions in the harbor got drastically worse.

Right now the fairway is clear and all the launch ramps are open.

The only reason we'd call it early would be if conditions in the harbor got drastically worse.
    or if Illiamna erupts..... guess she went from green to yellow today...

Default Todays Kings

Fish are biting. Caught this AM, Green flashers and King Katcher flies in green and white with a strip of herring belly. 45 feet down in 45-50 feet of water. I missed the trip (in Anchorage), fish were caught on POW though ;-) Get ya motivated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Fish are biting. Caught this AM, Green flashers and King Katcher flies in green and white with a strip of herring belly. 45 feet down in 45-50 feet of water. I missed the trip (in Anchorage), fish were caught on POW though ;-) Get ya motivated!
    Wow....ain't that a pretty sight after a long winter...???!!!

Was down yesterday, we were one of the unlucky one's who got froze in right after Christmas. Ice was about 6" thick, but is pretty soft, you could break it off with your foot by our slip. We were able to get out and went fishing. The lane all the way to the load/launch looks really good and the ramp itself is in really good shape (dry).

Anyway, if you're planning on launching, I think you're good to go, and if you're froze in like we were, plan on about and hour or more to get moving. It took us about 1:45 to to get all the way out.

Just be careful moving over it, it was breaking in the front, but going under the boat, not shedding to the sides, you don't want to suck anything into a prop.

Good luck to all and we'll see you out there!

Some before, during and after.

How can you say the derby is a week earlier when it has always been the 3rd weekend of March. This year March happens to have 5 weekends. The date was set earlier in March at the conception of the derby but was changed to the 3rd weekend after a couple of years of marginal weather

Just got back from Homer tonight. Fished yesterday and today with great weather. Cold and snowy, but nice out. The storm in the Gulf kept us in close and hooked up 2 but never got them to the boat. Sure was nice getting out and the driver from Eagle River was easy towing my 26' Alaskan. The harbor was flooding with ice this afternoon with the tide, but slowly motored thru with no problems. Say Muttley's boat stuck solid still.... Hope ya get it out this week..... Here are a few pictures.

Coming back in.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Hey Rob, how did the new props work out?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast