Thread: Small Game

Default Small Game

Im taking a trip around the Cantwell and Paxson area in August. How good would the small game hunting be?

Ptarmigan is excellent up high that time of year. You might find some grouse too. Rabbits abound, but hard to see with all the brush. Depending on timing, you might find wolves, coyotes and fox, but I'm not sure of the exact opening dates so check the regs.

Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Would there be enough wolves to buy a tag during the beginning of August?

August is about the toughest time of year to see a wolf. Leaves and brush are thick, and wolves are the experts at not being seen. Of course, you never know, and the NR tag I think is only $25 bucks, just in case you get extremely lucky.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

but wolves are big game, and it definitly wouldn't be worth a non-res BG license.
    Not sure if you can take coyote or fox on a non-res smll game license either, but i don't think so.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

are you a non resident?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    are you a non resident?
    Guessing he is a non-res just because he is planning for August in March, asked about small game not moose or caribou, and if he were a resident he wouldn't need a wolf tag.....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

i know guides that don't know they don't need a wolf tag in unit 13, i wouldn't put it past someone who spends more time after small game...but also don't know any non res that come up and want to hunt small game...could go either way on this one.lol
    figured i'd ask...
    Master guide 212

A trip "around the Cantwell and Paxson area" is a pretty big area. It's about 135 miles between the two on a dirt road. You might want to narrow it down a little.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Yes i am a non resident. i don't want to spend to much money on our first trip and im just out of school so money is limited. we are mainly going fishing but i also like to hunt and thought small game would be fun, but if i had a good chance to get a wolf i would like to. We are mainly just going to drive along the highway and fish and hunt where it looks good.

keep in mind as well if your traveling around on vaction or just a trip, if you shoot something make sure you have the means to store it and take care of it. i know sometimes when i'm out and about with the family i'll pass on stuff just cause i can't skin and store 20 ptarmigan or a fox or whatever.
    Master guide 212

Can you donate meat and stuff like that?