Thread: steel heads in rivers

Default steel heads in rivers

I love steelhead fishing, but I don't go all to often, and I always seem to have a brain fart, so when do the rivers open and the steelheads start running in places like willow and montana and such places?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Cameron, do you mean rainbows? the big su doesnt have "steelhead", just rainbows that winter in the mainstem big su, they move back into the mouths of the creeks and feast on outgoing salmon smolt (grayling and dollies are too), then move up those streams to spawn and stay the summer.....also, there is no retention of rainbows till June 15.....but there are plenty of grayling and big dollies to be found....i like to start hitting the mouths of the parks streams around the last week of april, first week of may...there is still huge chunks of ice along the river, i like to fish from the top of them, cuz i can see real good....about the last 2 weeks of may, depending on the rain and how much snow is melting upriver, the river blows out and fishing is all but impossible, muddy high water with tons of debris and logs and crap comin down....

Release Lake Trout

ya, I just figured they were steelhead. seems like I was remembering it being hte last week of april, but wasn't sure.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

FFG, technically a steelhead is a rainbow, but not just any ordinary rainbow. So, in your defense, you were partly right. A steelhead is an anadromous rainbow. That is a rainbow that migrates to the ocean to eat, and migrates back to freshwater streams to spawn. That is why steelhead get a lot bigger than a regular rainbow, because they eat more nutritious food while they are in the ocean. But like Hunt and Fish said, steelhead don't spawn in any of the Parks highway streams. If you want steelhead, you gotta go down to the Kenai. Kasilof and Anchor rivers are both good, and they should be starting to get good fairly soon. I'd say in about another month or so. Another decent river for steelhead is the Gulkana river. I'm sure the Parks highway streams will be frozen over for at least another month or two. I think Talkeetna river sometimes has open water early.