Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Birthday Willow Float

  1. #1
    Member AlaskaIsCold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage/UAA
    Posts
    144

    Post Birthday Willow Float

    Hiya!

    So since I am graduating from UAA this spring I was thinking I would celebrate my birthday in a bigger way than usual. I was thinking about float from Willow Creek at the highway bridge all the way down to the confluence. During the weekend openers for King Salmon on the last week of June or the first week of July (would be nice to float a bit, toss a few flies then float some more).

    The thing is that ive never done a float before so I don't really know what I'm getting into. I was thinking of renting a Tandem Kayak from UAA and using it to float down. Slow and steady and all that. If I see some fish and there is a gravel bar near by. Id land on the bar and try to fish a bit. Spend the entire day having a good time.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

  2. #2
    Member bnkwnto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eagle River Alaska, United States,
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Unless you are really good on a kayak I wouldn't put one on the Willow for a first time float. There is usually several sweepers and log jams that could get you in trouble. It's a good float for a raft but not one I'd recommend for a first ever float.

  3. #3
    Member power drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Down wind of 2 Glaciers
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    I thought you where going to do about the same thing a year ago on the little sue? Guess you didn't do it. For sure willow in a kayak for the first time is only going to get you in trouble. You say you will go slow and steady? No you will go with the flow of the river, and this year with all the snow we have it should be high water at that time and moving right along. Willow creek even though it's a smaller river is not the one to go on for your very first time. If I where you I would rethink that Little Sue run down from Houston bridge to Berma. You need a long weekend to do it.

  4. #4
    Member AlaskaIsCold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage/UAA
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I thought you where going to do about the same thing a year ago on the little sue? Guess you didn't do it. For sure willow in a kayak for the first time is only going to get you in trouble. You say you will go slow and steady? No you will go with the flow of the river, and this year with all the snow we have it should be high water at that time and moving right along. Willow creek even though it's a smaller river is not the one to go on for your very first time. If I where you I would rethink that Little Sue run down from Houston bridge to Berma. You need a long weekend to do it.
    I was gonna do the little sue, but then everyone that I was going to go with backed out and I didn't think it would of been a good idea for me to go on my own. especially for the my first time floating. I was either gonna try the willow float or revisit the little sue float. Depending on what they wanted to do.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

  5. #5
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    only issue with the lil sue from houston to burma is all the (edited) power boaters....you really need to watch out for those crazy jerks....pretty fun float though when its quiet....grayling, bows, and kings should be good in june....
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 03-05-2012 at 22:24.



    Release Lake Trout

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    Hiya!

    So since I am graduating from UAA this spring I was thinking I would celebrate my birthday in a bigger way than usual. I was thinking about float from Willow Creek at the highway bridge all the way down to the confluence. During the weekend openers for King Salmon on the last week of June or the first week of July (would be nice to float a bit, toss a few flies then float some more).

    The thing is that ive never done a float before so I don't really know what I'm getting into. I was thinking of renting a Tandem Kayak from UAA and using it to float down. Slow and steady and all that. If I see some fish and there is a gravel bar near by. Id land on the bar and try to fish a bit. Spend the entire day having a good time.
    Looks to be a great plan for your birthday and a very good entry into rafting and/or kayaking. Not too certain why others would steer ya from getting out on the lower sections of Willow Creek - particularly the short stretch from the highway on down.

    Talk to TJ in outdoor extension at UAA on getting a little instruction, and he'll likely have some helpful input... name drop me if ya like and explain your birthday plans on the 'lower Willow'. I would say you are better off not renting a tandem kayak unless it's an inflatable design primarily for rivers & creeks. A smaller raft would be a much better choice.

    The stretches you are inquiring about are less-demanding, short duration, never too far away remote, great accessibility, relatively inexpensive, plus others likely floating at the same time. Almost could not be a better and the near perfectly suitable float Statewide for novice beginners floating, fishing, making mileage, and gaining experience.

    Cheers
    Brian Richardson

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default trips

    Good choice, good fishing, 5 miles, and it's easy class I. Simply move your boat to the inside on bends to avoid a few strainers on the outside of them. Used to canoe it when I did not even know which end of a paddle went in the water, only because we knew about those giant Bows down there.

  8. #8
    Member HuntAK59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Looks to be a great plan for your birthday and a very good entry into rafting and/or kayaking. Not too certain why others would steer ya from getting out on the lower sections of Willow Creek - particularly the short stretch from the highway on down.

    Talk to TJ in outdoor extension at UAA on getting a little instruction, and he'll likely have some helpful input... name drop me if ya like and explain your birthday plans on the 'lower Willow'. I would say you are better off not renting a tandem kayak unless it's an inflatable design primarily for rivers & creeks. A smaller raft would be a much better choice.

    The stretches you are inquiring about are less-demanding, short duration, never too far away remote, great accessibility, relatively inexpensive, plus others likely floating at the same time. Almost could not be a better and the near perfectly suitable float Statewide for novice beginners floating, fishing, making mileage, and gaining experience.

    Cheers
    Brian Richardson
    We're looking at doing this in a canoe for memorial day weekend this weekend. I'll be with a beginner and am not new myself, but by no means an expert. Think it'll be fine?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •