Thread: potty training help

Default potty training help

having some issues potty training a gwp pup she'll be 5 mo march 11...parents had an older dog & during the last couple years wet in the house due to age & uncontrolled circumstances. new pup was brought in 2 days before older dog passed on.....been having trouble getting her to tell when to "go outside". she's going to come stay with me for a bit, haven't had any animals here in my home....what's a good way to get her potty trained....thanks

I think "crate training" is the only way to go
    Gotta keep the pup IN a crate except when you can either take her RIGHT outside and eventually perhaps let her play a little uner DIRECT CONTINUOUS observation so you can then let pup outside immediately when it starts to get fidgity

I'm probably not explaining it very well but do a search for "crate training" and get a good airline kennel to work with from day #1

any other method in my opinion is just waiting for the pup to grow out or messing all over your house which will be frustrating for BOTH of you as well as destructive to your home

good luck..........and just stick with this for a week or two and you will be amazed at the results leading to a happier YOU and PUP

seems like a pain but far easier than cleaning up continual messes

The crate training method is the only one that works for our Lab. We thought all was good but at 7 months has started to develope the bad habit again. Back in the crate he went and he stopped again. I just got done cleaning the mess and it disgusted me to think I was scared to lay on the floor and cuddle with the dog. I have since shampood the carpets to start fresh and keep an watchful eye on him. Pull his water before it gets to late and keep him on a strict feeding schedule.

got a new pup a few weeks ago....1/2 silver lab, 1/2 aussie shep....she was 6 weeks wheni got her with no previous training whatsoever...within a few days of watching her body language, i was able to see the signs (on the "prowl", looking around, stops playing) and put her out......within a week she knew to go outside....course there were some accidents but its only natural....I keep her on a pretty steady feed sched and when not at home, dont leave water sitting out for her....at 9 weeks, she is accident free, and my mind is totally at ease, unless we are at someones home where there is other dogs, small kids, etc.. she doesnt whine at the door, but she wll stand by it and just wait for someone to notice her, but she usually gives a telling sign....youll learn it by watching your dog.....just be patient and work work work with your pup......get the pup on a strict schedule and routine....I.E. feed in AM, play with pup/ incorporate training for about 10-15 minutes after feeding, then go outside....should be ready...same with mid day and evening meals...bare minimum of snacks/treats throughout the day for the first few weeks...water: i have a small cat water dish i carry with us all the time...i leave it on the floor, and when thirsty, Delta will push it around, lately she picks it up and brings it to me lol, and i fill it up with about a 1/2 cup or so at a time, and take her out after 5 minutes or so after....this is only because we go so many places all the time...but at home (where she is most confident of the house rules) we have a self filling water dish setup....

Release Lake Trout

Crate training is the probably the best and easiest method to house break a puppy. It helps with getting them on a schedule, which is also important in house breaking. Being consistent is the next step in house breaking. Once they are in a schedule, keep to it. With puppies they sleep a lot so as soon as they wake up you take them out. And after they eat they go out. They cant come in till the have gone to the bathroom. Young puppies have to go within 5-30 min after eating or drinking. Your 5 month old should be able to hold it a bit longer than that. At times you may get frustrated but you can't get mad at the dog, they don't know better. I feel that if you catch the puppy in the act, as you're scooping her up and running her outside you can tell her no. Only if you catch her while she is doing it. She wont understand if its after she gets done. She should know what no means by now. But getting mad and yelling does not do any good. Also keep a bag of dog food or pieces of a carrot works good (no calories and good for the dog) in your pocket and when she goes the bathroom outside you can give her a few pieces as a treat. That seemed to help in the breaking of my puppy. I have a 3 month old chessy, got her at 7 1/2 weeks and she was house broke in 4 days. Yes she still had an accident every now and then but that's because I was not keeping an eye on her. She goes to the door and waits to get let out. I have heard and seen several people train their dog to ring a bell when they need to go out. I have been thinking of training mine to do that too. I really don't want her whining and barking and scratching at the door. The only thing that might happen is they will just go over and ring it just because they want to go out and play and not because they need to go the bathroom.

Just watch her like a hawk and be consistent and you'll have her house broke before you know it.