Thread: best gps app

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default best gps app

I got a new phone with built in gps a few months ago. It's a samsung galaxy s2. The app it came with is a decent road navigator, Now I want to find a good app for backcountry. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything that would be good enough to mark the haul road five mile corridor?
    Thanks
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

There's a member that's been promoting his map system here on Outdoors Directory forums. I looked at it but not sure I have a good use for it. You can check it out here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-screen-no-ads

Cabelas app for android is pretty nice... don't think it'd suffice for marking the haul road corridor though.

I would be nervous to use a cell phone for rural GPS things just based on the battery life issue. Usually, those kinds of apps will draw the battery pretty fast and you are SOL if you don't have a way to recharge your phone while out in the field. A regular GPS will be more versatile for use as a GPS and will only take a couple extra batteries if it goes dead.

Check out ScenicmapAK. It doesnt need service to run, it uses tge gps in your phone already. Has topo and different season setting and stuff and tracking. I used it last year on a float trip in conjunction with screens shots of Google Earth that i saved on my phone. Worked great. I think it was like five bucks or something.
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks folks, definitely appreciate the advice. When I figure out what to buy I let you know how it works.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Backcountry GPS is the best topo map nav app for Android (i have no affiliation, I have just tried all the others!). Costs $9.99 from Android market. While on 3G or Wifi you can download as much USGS topo map as you have memory and all can be used off-line. Then go on ebay and get yourself an AA phone charger with micro USB and you are good to go. If you are using your phone as a location check then you can power-off/on rather than leaving on standby and battery will last. Also when out in the bush you should put flight mode on which really saves battery. The graphic disply on the Galaxy S2 is waay better then any handheld GPS. If you are anything like me, you prefer the weight saving of phone/camera/gps etc all in one rather than carrying seperate of each.
    Krussel waterproof case ($50) is a great addition also.