Thread: possible? or probable to get to Talachulitna

Default possible? or probable to get to Talachulitna

Just wondering if anybody has made the trip up this far? Its on my list of rivers to visit. I heard theres a lodge by the mouth, and I know lots of people float it. Any info would be great!

Thanks.

A lot would depend on the type boat you plan to use. What are you running?

Running to the talchulitna from deshka landing is a fun trip. Should be able to make the trip in anything from a Jon boat to a large inboard jet. The Su and yentna shouldn't give you any priblems, the skwentna is a little faster, braided, stumps sweepers logjams, fun stuff, but not bad

Awesome, I can't wait! I have a 1875 XS, plan on taking 4 people with gear so we'll be loaded, but I will have to bring gas probably. Anybody sell it on the Yentna?

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    Awesome, I can't wait! I have a 1875 XS, plan on taking 4 people with gear so we'll be loaded, but I will have to bring gas probably. Anybody sell it on the Yentna?
    Dan at yentna station sells gas... think there is a place or two on up by Lake Creek that sell gas.

I think Joe and norma still sell gas at skwentna.
    It's about 60 miles to the tal, should be able to cruise in your xs @ around 10 gph figure 2 hours each way, 40 gallons plus some for playing around shouldd do it.

Joe and Norma no longer live in Skwentna, Contacting the Skwentna Road House for gas would be your best bet. It is 63 river miles to Skwentna from the landing. The Tal is another 14 miles from Skwentna so that is 77 miles. It will take you about 2 1/2 hours to Skwentna with your load and another 45 minutes or so to the Tal. River is easy to Skwentna then changes dramaticaly right out of Skwentna.

I was born and raised out there and have run to the Tal many times. It is a fun trip.