Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Something to kill some time with this winter:

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ellensburg Wa.
    Posts
    109

    Default Something to kill some time with this winter:

    I found a use for some old P/U sheep horns I had laying around this winter. I had made a wall sconce several years ago and had a plan in a new addition for a fireplace so prewired before putting up the rock. I'm not much of an artist and just bought the lamp parts from an electrical supply co. I have to say this was my wifes idea. Thanks, Ron.

    http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/...r/100_0159.jpg

    http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/...r/100_0158.jpg

  2. #2
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    Very nice work. I wish I could see it in person. Where did the pickups come from/

  3. #3
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Cool, man! I wonder if you could do some sort of fill on the inside of the horn to help hide the hardware/wiring that is visible. Now you've got a unique lamp set with a story to tell of where you picked the horns up from...

  4. #4

    Default

    Great idea and nice work!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Thats a neat idea good job!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Very nice work!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Outstanding work! How difficult was it?

  8. #8
    Member mod elan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Glennallen
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Maybe some leather over the ends to hide the wires?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ellensburg Wa.
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Roland. I picked some of the horns up in the Talkeetnas and a couple in the wrangles and chugach. Most the time I hunted with horses and you could cover a lot of ground and had room to carry them out. Moose 44, I'm not handy at all with art and it only took a couple of afternoons to put these together. I just went to a lamp electrical suppy store and asked them what I would need to put them together and they helped me out. Just a couple measurements to drill the holes for the mounting brackets and wires and thats it. The first one I made I just put a lamp plugin on and used it for a wall sconce. That way you can put it anywhere you have a plugin. I did think about pluging the ends so you cant see the wires but unless you are up pretty close you cant really see them. Ron.

  10. #10
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Maybe some leather over the ends to hide the wires?
    That's what I say as well....Though the idea is excellent, the exposed wires take away from the beauty of the horns. I would think some tan leather with some leather braid around the bases would do the trick nicely.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •