Thread: Next generation of S0-D motors is upon us.

Default Next generation of S0-D motors is upon us.

Like our digital world, Surface-Drive motors are a rapidly evolving technology. Eventually, the mainstream outboard makers will come aboard.

That day has come. Recently announced, MudBuddy, in conjunction with Arkmos Engineering and Mercury Marine, will offer for sale a new mud motor system ... the Sport V and Sport H, to be offered with various large block Briggs/Vanguard powerheads. The lower end is made from either cast SS or cast aluminum, depending on the model. No belts, gear driven, with a hydrodynamic shape, a transmission (drive, neutral, reverse) and many other patented designs and engineering. These advances will filter down through the MB product line. Props so far mentioned are 15.5" and 17.3". The final design has been undergoing hardcore final testing since Feb. 2011. Sales of these new motors is scheduled to begin in Aug 2012. Similar new technology MB Minis are expected Summer of 2013.

The link below is to the announcements in the MudBuddy forum ... you will have to register to enter. Included are specs, pictures and CAD drawings. Very cool.

http://www.mudbuddy.com/forum/sport-v-h-motors/

It's fun to watch this developing technology mature. I expect we're going to be seeing many more S-Ds out in the Alaskan woods.

(By the way, I am selling nothing. Posted only for information.)

Thanks Rick....I decided to wait on developments as things seem to be changing quickly. Almost had convinced myself to buy a lift but these surface motors seem to be the way to go. Probably two years away from buying but I'll start saving up.

That's pretty cool!! Just when I get all the outboards I could ever need....kinda like the new I Pad. These look like a serious improvement over the older designs.

Any thoughts on a 6 or 9 HP long tail on the Cargo? I could be wrong but it looks to me like there would be less torque on the stern with the long tails since they have a more "in-line" thrust rather than being under the rear of the canoe like an outboard....just thinkin.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

How necessary is a transmission on a CANOE motor? At least one proponent on this forum, has cited the lack of same as a "plus", when comparing Mud Buddy S-D's to regular outboards. Is it worth the additional mechanical complexity (and weight) on a system designed for the wilderness?

Maybe . . . . "Better is the enemy of good enough"?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Default u mean mud motor, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    How necessary is a transmission on a CANOE motor?
    I would assume that you mean on a mud-motor.

If you're really asking about a standard OB, I would ask how the heck else (besides reverse) do you plan to de-weed your prop? I've had to de-weed mine every few minutes when the salad I'm going thru is getting really thick.

How necessary is a transmission on a CANOE motor? At least one proponent on this forum, has cited the lack of same as a "plus", when comparing Mud Buddy S-D's to regular outboards. Is it worth the additional mechanical complexity (and weight) on a system designed for the wilderness?

Maybe . . . . "Better is the enemy of good enough"?
    I completely agree with you. I care little about adding "technology" to anything I use in the back country. Having put a good 1,200 water miles on a surface drive powered canoe, I've needed a transmission or reverse about 0 times. If it was a traditional outboard, yes you do need to clear weeds, but not with the surface drive. It slices n dices weeds, they don't really get caught up on anything. Let the technology "evolve", I'd still prefer simplicity: lawn mover engine, belt, frame, prop.

FamilyMan,
    You assumed right with your first sentence. After all, this is a Surface Drive thread.
    Which made your second "how the heck else" statement totally un-warranted.
    Getting back to the point . . . .
    Do you think transmissions are necessary, or even desirable, on S-D motors mounted on freighter canoes?
    Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Do you think transmissions are necessary
    no ..........

sounds interesting but wonder what it will do to the price?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Please remember ... these new motors are not a candidate for powering our freighter canoes. My intent for posting this was to track the development of this technology, not sell it. Further, these new motors are heavyweights of 300# or more. Currently the most powerful production S-D motors I know of have a max of 70 hp. This new drive system will permit much more powerful such motors in the future. As I said, an emerging technology. How this will translate into lightweight motor design is for the future. But what struck me is the participation of Mercury Marine in this new system. The big boys of the industry are sticking their toes into the waters of surface-drive motors.

By the way, the prices of the new MB V and H motors are in the linked articles and don't appear too different from current prices.

And, while not necessary, neutral and reverse, as long as there is no increase in weight, would be quite nice. And I still want less noise.