Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Johnson outboard questions

Default Small Johnson outboard questions

I am considering buying a 1990 Johnson 8 hp 2 stroke outboard the seller describes as "runs a little rough" and fouls the plus easily. Price is ok but I am a little concerned about potential repairs. My gut tells me a carb rebuild may be in order or possibly a choke issue. Doubt if a motor this small has oil injection so no need to worry about the oil injection system. Either way it would require a trip to the shop.

Can you still find parts easily for a 22 year old outboard? If I buy the motor, does anyone have a recommendation where to take it do to get repaired?

Thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I'm sure you can find parts without a lot of effort. You are right in that the most reasonable issue could be a carb/fuel flow issue, and a carb rebuild is no big deal. I would be a little concerned that it could be a piston/jug problem as easily fould plugs are indicative of incomplete combustion/lack of compression. Are you in Anchorage?

Eagle River. Are you thinking worn rings could be a possibility?

One thing i would think about is that he may be using junk oil or mixing it wrong. If you mix in too much oil that is exactly what will happen

Realize that, but he is the original owner so doubt if he is adding to much. Pretty hard to wear one of these motors out from what I been told but even if worse case of worn rings, what do you think $ wise to replace?

Give these guys a call:

J Kimberly Service

• (907) 349-1894

6601 Arctic Blvd, Anchorage, AK 99518

They have been working on the old 2 strokes like than most guys.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Snowwolfe, if you pick that motor up and need to borrow a compression tester, I'm here in ER too and you are more than welcome to borrow it. I'll even give ya hand at tuning her up.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

if you decide not to buy the Johnson I have a few small motors I would sell 2000 Evinrude 6hp 4 stroke, 2000 Evinrude 8 hp 4 stroke, 9.9 Merc 2 stroke not sure of year, in the 90's I think, but runs good, older 6 hp Evinrude that runs ok but the recoil rope is broke and it's not real pretty.

check compression before you buy.....it's pretty easy.....if compressions good then it's prob just needs carbs cleaned or rebuilt. parts shouldn't be to hard to find. if your having probs let me know i got a friend in fl that can get most anything you need

parts are still available for this motor, you can get them at ak mining and diving. These motors are fairly easy to work on. Here is a "guide" that helped me - http://www.sschapterpsa.com/rambling...n%209.9_15.htm

although it mostly describes 9-15hp omc it is very similar to the 8hp

or take it to j kimberly

good luck

Thanks guys. Might take you up on your offer of the compression tester for next weekend. Anyone have any idea what the compression should be? I think these older two strokes were twin's.

How do you check the compression on a pull start? Screw in the tester and give her a couple of yanks?

Yep. That's it. Pull all plugs and screw it into one cylinder and pull a few times. Some say it's best to open the throttle up all the way too. Lets more air inside to get a better reading. 4 - 5 pulls should level out and give you a good reading. Not sure what the rate shoudl be, but with more info on the motor, it would be an easy google search. Let me know when ya want to pick up the tester.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Thanks guys. Might take you up on your offer of the compression tester for next weekend. Anyone have any idea what the compression should be? I think these older two strokes were twin's.

How do you check the compression on a pull start? Screw in the tester and give her a couple of yanks?
    They don't have much. I have rebuilt a number of them and if you have 60-70 psi you have a pretty good one. I have a 4hp that runs perfectly for the dingy and canoe that only has 50-55. I'm sure some guys are going to off that they need 100 psi or something, but I have never seen one that high. I rebuilt a 6 hp 2 winters ago for a friend that only had 85 psi after a very careful rebuild. It is hard to get good readings, and high readings, pulling a dang rope.

If it has good power, starts easily, the compression between the 2 cylinders is within 5-10% or so of each other, and the price is right, I'd buy it. BTW, there are parts everywhere for these engines online. A big plus is they are so simple a 5 grader can work on them. Also, one of the most common things that goes wrong with these motors, is the coils (or the wiring) go bad. And this will cause fouling of the plug. Interestingly, sometimes they miraculously fix themselves for a few trips only to return to running poorly and rough later on. On a side note: they will run surprisingly well, if not incredibly well, on just one cylinder so be careful. A noid light will help you diagnose this. I have picked up several that were running poorly for really cheap that just needed a new coil (they are dirt cheap) and sold them for 400-500 dollars.....

I'm not in the market for another one....as I have 3 of them and a 4 stroke tohatsu that I really like, but just curious, how much does this guy want?

T.R.
    Sent you a pm. Thank you for the advice.

Topic is over. Selled declined my offer.
    But thanks for the tips guys. I'll keep on looking.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Thanks! Sent them a message. Appreciate the thought. Managed to pick up a like new 12 foot porta bote two days ago and this would be perfect for it.

Default Another Question

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    They don't have much. I have rebuilt a number of them and if you have 60-70 psi you have a pretty good one. I have a 4hp that runs perfectly for the dingy and canoe that only has 50-55. I'm sure some guys are going to off that they need 100 psi or something, but I have never seen one that high. I rebuilt a 6 hp 2 winters ago for a friend that only had 85 psi after a very careful rebuild. It is hard to get good readings, and high readings, pulling a dang rope.

If it has good power, starts easily, the compression between the 2 cylinders is within 5-10% or so of each other, and the price is right, I'd buy it. BTW, there are parts everywhere for these engines online. A big plus is they are so simple a 5 grader can work on them. Also, one of the most common things that goes wrong with these motors, is the coils (or the wiring) go bad. And this will cause fouling of the plug. Interestingly, sometimes they miraculously fix themselves for a few trips only to return to running poorly and rough later on. On a side note: they will run surprisingly well, if not incredibly well, on just one cylinder so be careful. A noid light will help you diagnose this. I have picked up several that were running poorly for really cheap that just needed a new coil (they are dirt cheap) and sold them for 400-500 dollars.....

I'm not in the market for another one....as I have 3 of them and a 4 stroke tohatsu that I really like, but just curious, how much does this guy want?
    TR

I have an 8 hp Johnson (99 J8REEM). Runs fine for about 5 minutes until it is warm, then won't run again until it cools down. Checked compression, at 74 on both cylinders. Rebuilt Card, fuel pump, and water pump. I also changed the spark plugs and plug wires. Still, no change. Spark jumps across 12mm when tested.

Do you think it might be a coil problem? I was also thinking about rebuilding the thermostat??

Thanks in advance.

Phil

I'd say it's the coil failing when it get warm. But I'm not an expert. Coils are hit and miss as posted earlier.
    MMSI# 338232859

A buddy of mine has a very clean mid 90's 15 horse Johnson he is selling (in ER). I think he wants $750 for it.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast