Thread: Alaska Moose Federation fraud?

Default Alaska Moose Federation fraud?

In an article posted by .338WM on another thread was this disturbing quote.

laskadispatch.com/article/feeding-hungry-moose-fundraising-bonanza?page=0,1

"Not every parent was convinced that diversionary feeding is a good idea for moose, and some wondered why it was chosen over a slew of other worthy causes. But the final straw snapped when the AMF asked parents to make their checks out to Alaska Village Initiatives, a tax-deductible charitable organization. The AMF shares an office with Alaska Village Initiatives in Anchorage. The AMF is not a tax-deductible charitable organization. At best this seems to be a way to launder the donations, giving them to a tax-exempt organization with the expectation that the money will be passed on to another cause that doesnít have tax-exempt"

My question to the Alaska Moose Federation is this......... Are you committing tax fraud among other things to further your agenda and receive more donations?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I don't know if the whole deal is a fraud.
    Definitely looks like they were trying to fraudulently receive donations though.

Fraud or not, I really supported the picking up of road kill Moose to be delivered to charities. Still do support that to an extent--but sound like that was/is waaaaay overfunded as well.

On the fence about feeding--Can't have everyone doing it, but if they animals are fed properly and itís not OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive, I think I am OK with it. Prefer to see it funded solely by donations though; not the government and/or our tax dollars.
    Moose relocation, I donít support and think itís kinda dumb at any cost. But via tranquilizer at 120K is complete and udder retardation.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    In an article posted by .338WM on another thread was this disturbing quote.

laskadispatch.com/article/feeding-hungry-moose-fundraising-bonanza?page=0,1

"Not every parent was convinced that diversionary feeding is a good idea for moose, and some wondered why it was chosen over a slew of other worthy causes. But the final straw snapped when the AMF asked parents to make their checks out to Alaska Village Initiatives, a tax-deductible charitable organization. The AMF shares an office with Alaska Village Initiatives in Anchorage. The AMF is not a tax-deductible charitable organization. At best this seems to be a way to launder the donations, giving them to a tax-exempt organization with the expectation that the money will be passed on to another cause that doesnít have tax-exempt"

My question to the Alaska Moose Federation is this......... Are you committing tax fraud among other things to further your agenda and receive more donations?
    AMF is organized under a tax structure that prohibits donations and funding sources from being tax deductible.

They organized that way so they could hire a lobbyist...which they did a couple weeks ago...not sure where they got that $40,000.00.

Now why would a group who's stated purpose is to help moose need a lobbyist? Could it be that their unstated purpose is political and politically underhanded? They certainly have connections to groups that operate that way.
    - Jef Mallett

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    That was an interesting article, thanks for posting the link.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Thank you for posting this link.

I think that they could be doing allot more with their money and time. I also hope that they don't get the grant money and contract to harvest the road kill moose. I know allot of people and smaller charities that use those moose. I say let the smaller charities and residents continue to use them. I know of some church groups that are on the list and take care of quite a few moose every year. They cut it up and give it to the more needy people in the community. I think this system is working well. Why privatize it and spend more money doing so?

You want a good laugh? Read this.......... http://www.bluediamondwebs.biz/growm...ationfacts.asp

Now mind you most of this seems to have been written sometime around 2005. Let that sink in a minute.

The statement below is particularly interesting. It seems that "capital campaign" was to lobby Juneau for money to "save moose" and (cough cough) build a fancy new headquarters.

"Emphasis for 2005
    In 2003, AMF embarked on a plan to increase mission delivery by launching a capital campaign for a new headquarters that would reduce operating costs, improve efficiency, and increase visibility."
    - Jef Mallett