Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting your 2012 garden!?

Default Starting your 2012 garden!?

The time is getting closer, who's getting started ordering/buying seeds and what's everyone gonna plant this year.? Has anyone got anything started?

Haven't got started yet but can't wait!!! Got a greenhouse for this year and can't wait to get out there and get things growing!!
    Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

seeds are ordered and have arrived. I have my shelves set up and am going to start tomatoes saturday hopefully.

I am planning tomatoes and cucumbers, (may thow a watermellon in for fun) for the green house. For out side I was planning cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, pumpkins, zuccini, celery, radishes, peas, chard, beets, potatoes,and I am probably forgetting something.

Also adding some fruit trees and bushes. Ordered some Manchurian appricots, honey berries, goose berries, a cherry, and a plum. The cherry and plum are borderline for my area, but I thought they might be fun to try.

I started my tomatoes today... Last year I started them on the 4th of March and it worked out perfectly..
    I'll start the cucumbers about the middle of April

Nice to hear everyone else has the fever. I started toms and peppers a few days ago, off to a early start but I could not wait any longer. Not sure how it happened but already have my first green up on all of my peppers, 3 days after sowing! On to brussel sprouts and cucs next.! My windows will be full by end of March.

Big Dog, sounds like your will be busy planting as soon as those plants start arriving! I love have fruit trees, every year it gets better. Great to hear you picked up gooseberries, I love them, I call them my Alaska grape. What varieties did you order? And where from?

Also adding some fruit trees and bushes. Ordered some Manchurian appricots, honey berries, goose berries, a cherry, and a plum. The cherry and plum are borderline for my area, but I thought they might be fun to try.[/QUOTE]

Good to see someone getting honey beries . I have had them for about 3 years and they are doing better each year. You will need two or three variety's for them to pollinate . If you would like for me to e-mail you some info on them pm me your email

I figure if your going to plant trees and bushes you might as well plant something that will produce.

I like gooseberries a lot we have 1 already but I wanted enough to actually do something with. I can't remember off hand what variety I ordered. I'll look and see.

Yes the catalog told me I needed 2 varieties of honey berries I thought that was strange but ordered 2 varieties, so I should be good to go. I was initially looking at blue berries, but honey berries are hartier then the comercial blue berries.

The trees and bushes came from Burgess.

Where do you guys order your seeds from?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
    Where do you guys order your seeds from?
    Denali seeds are in Anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I figure if your going to plant trees and bushes you might as well plant something that will produce.

I like gooseberries a lot we have 1 already but I wanted enough to actually do something with. I can't remember off hand what variety I ordered. I'll look and see.

Yes the catalog told me I needed 2 varieties of honey berries I thought that was strange but ordered 2 varieties, so I should be good to go. I was initially looking at blue berries, but honey berries are hartier then the comercial blue berries.
    I tried 3 home depot apple trees.. they gave me a 1 yr guarantee... 2 trees died after the guarantee expired, and the 1 surviving wasn't looking too perky last fall... I was thinking a big apple crop and apple cider, etc, but don't think that's gonna happen

If anyone is loking for Apple trees that will do well here contact Dan Elliot @376-5196 he is a expert .

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I tried 3 home depot apple trees.. they gave me a 1 yr guarantee... 2 trees died after the guarantee expired, and the 1 surviving wasn't looking too perky last fall... I was thinking a big apple crop and apple cider, etc, but don't think that's gonna happen
    You have to be picky about varieties with all fruit trees. Also location can be a big deal. At my house the winter temps rarly exceed -25 F so I can grow things that won't grow just a few miles away. Look for zone 3 trees for most of Wasilla. You may have to plant them in a fairly ideal location if things are strugaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Denali seeds are in Anchorage
    Thank you!

If you want any type of fruit or nut tree or shrub order from St lawerence nursery, if it will grow there it will grow here in southcentral. Nothing from them is grown in warm weather or a greenhouse all of their stock lives out side in conditions just as harsh as our own and they have been in buisness a long time

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    The time is getting closer, who's getting started ordering/buying seeds and what's everyone gonna plant this year.? Has anyone got anything started?
    I am going to start tomatoes this week. Gold nugget, silvery fir tree, black krim, currant and others. Bought a pile of seeds, too many to list. Plus some cuke seeds and melon seeds saved from last year. Lots of stuff. I am anxious for some of this stinking snow to melt off! I think one raised bed has a 10 foot berm over it. It seems like it's NEVER gonna melt. The greenhouse is literally half buried.

Mustard greens and mini bell peppers will make a new appearance in our garden this year. They should start inside ok. I need more garden space.

Quote Originally Posted by willowite View Post
    I need more garden space.
    I understand completly.

Won't be back on the property 'til May, garden might be snowed in 'til June. Thinking taters, lettuce, and carrots. How's Burgess for shipping? Do they charge an arm and a leg?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I don't think shipping was too bad, but I don't remember what it was off hand.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Won't be back on the property 'til May, garden might be snowed in 'til June. Thinking taters, lettuce, and carrots. How's Burgess for shipping? Do they charge an arm and a leg?
    of course it will depend on the size of the envelope or box or pkg. I only bought a couple pks of seeds, so postage was only for one regular envelope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast