Thread: My artistic side on display.

Default My artistic side on display.

I should have taken a 'before' picture. I have to use the interwebs to give an idea of what I was given to work with:

514%20001.jpg

Those of you know that my father in law died recently. Him and I shared a gun-nut/hunting streak and therefore, a fair number of his firearms have gone to me. One of the pieces I received was an old Remington 514. Little single shot 22 from an era where such guns were made in America. I liked the adult size of it and hope to keep it until my boy is old enough to use it.

But geez, what an ugly color stock.

I couldn't help notice that these old Remingtons bear a slight resemblance to a pre-64 model 70 in their general shape and fit. That got me thinkin. I aquired and sold a pre-64 model 70 last summer, and was devastated to part with it. I love the color of the stocks on those old model 70's. Such beautiful pieces.

Recently, while at the range, I ran into a man who had an AK that he had bought over the internet. when it showed up, it had mismatching wood pieces. Apparently, the AK world frequently runs into this and uses food coloring dies to make all pieces at least look the same from a distance. Again, this got me thinkin.

Mixing red, brown and just a hint of purple left a die almost perfectly blood colored. The rags looked as if a bloody nose had been cleaned up with it. I stripped, sanded and washed with boiling water the stock and then soaked it in die over 2 days. Its amazing how it changed the coloration of the wood. When it was set, I began re-finishing it using a specific pre-64 model 70 restoration oil from GNG. 5 coats of that hand rubbed and this thing was looking amazing. Since this was all for a cheap gun that I intend to use in the field and for my kids to use, I hand rubbed on several coats of plolyurethane. Here is the finished product.

22lr project.jpg

I'm thrilled. From 20 feet away, you could almost maybe kinda mistake it for a pre-64 model 70. Either way, it's beautiful and functional. Its got such a good coat of poly on it, I think it would float. My wife paints and does amazing pencil drawings, but this is my only sort of artistic side. Why not make something artistic as well as functional?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Since the trigger and bolt handle on most pre-64 model 70's is blued, I had to blue them. They turned out nicely too.

Here's my only other artistic endeavor. It involves a scroll saw and bear fur, if any of you have any scrap leftovers:

scroll saw.jpg

My neighbor is the owner of Hardware Specialties. I have talked about getting super fine grade plywood (like for cabinets) and making some of these as wall hangers. It's my idea of something to use the fur for instead of an expensive rug or wall mount (poor college student thinking: scroll saw from guy in valley, $25, one 5x5 sheet of amazing ply, $35. much cheaper than a $700 dollar rug, and the possibility of selling some crafts to recoup funds).

Is it obvious to anyone that I have a major case of cabin fever? D*** snow needs to melt soon.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Nice work on both.
    I would like to offer a suggestion on the Bear cut out with fur.
    Next one you do lay out/draw the animal in the center of removal scrap drill a 3/8" hole. remove the blade from the scroll sawput blade through hole then reattach blade to the saw and cut the pattern from the inside out. That way you won't have the scroll cut coming from the edge to the layout lines.

Yeah, I was going to to the pilot hole method when it comes time to making the real deal. That was the second cut I ever did with a scroll saw on some of the crappiest plywood I had laying around. It was just practice to get a stencil cut out. Thanks.

The 22 looks MUCH BETTER!!!

That is AWESOME! I'm happy if I can get off the couch to get another beer out of the fridge. (thank GOD I have kids!) The .22 looks great and that is a cool idea with the bear. Good job in finding a way to stay busy and maybe make a couple extra bucks for the hunting account!

Good job on both projects they look great!