Thread: first brown/griz of the year?????

Default first brown/griz of the year?????

looking in the history we are within 30 days of the first average score of the year for bear. Any input or guess or lucky feelings that will break the spring fever. My guess is March 25 and it will be a lady (wife) of one of our members who will post the first pictures......

No way too much snow they will sit tight until it melts a lot. I think a late year

I thought I saw one yesterday, then I realized it was my own reflection!

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    looking in the history we are within 30 days of the first average score of the year for bear. Any input or guess or lucky feelings that will break the spring fever. My guess is March 25 and it will be a lady (wife) of one of our members who will post the first pictures......
    my guess is april 13th

Release Lake Trout

I haven't seen the bear, but about every weekend all winter I've seen fresh tracks on/near the river I've been trapping/hunting/fishing.

There is a picture of one in this weeks Valdez Star. The small black bear was behind a local restaurant near the airport. So guys.... one out already.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

last couple years up here people have gotten them starting the last week of march but it really doesn't pick up till mid april. We have terrible snow up here this year (at least where i usually go) so i'm expecting to see some early. hopefully i'll be an early poster

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    There is a picture of one in this weeks Valdez Star. The small black bear was behind a local restaurant near the airport. So guys.... one out already.
    That's a black bear.....It's not unusual to find a black bear out anytime of the winter. It seems that for some reason or another not all blackies prepare enough for the winter and have to come out of their dens to find food. A friend killed one once in the middle of the winter. It was starving and half dead. I guess it happens more than we think it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    So much depends on the weather. Even if we have a lot of snow, if we happen to get some real warm weather and it starts dripping on them in their dens, they will come out. But a brownie/grizz is known for waking up, walking around it's den for awhile and going back in and going to sleep. Weather will determine if they come out and stay out or not. Normally I would say sometime close to the end of the first week of April. But the way this winter is going, I wouldn't doubt it could be at least the middle of April before even the first one is seen. Remember, it sounds like we are getting near record snowfalls this year all over the state.