Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a moose rifle for a 11 year old

Default Advice on a moose rifle for a 11 year old

I'm new to the forum and I am sure it has been talked about before but I need some advice on a youth rifle. I have an 11 year old who wants to shoot a moose this fall. He has shoot grouse and pheasant with both a 20 ga and 410 with no recoil problems and is a decent shot with a 22. I am thinking about getting him a 308 because I have a lot of brass already. I am concerned about going that light for moose but do not want to hammer him at a young age by getting him somthing too large. Let me know what you think.

Look into a 260 remington or a 7mm/08 both good. I gave my grandson a 270 and he shot Remington "managed recoil " loads. the felt recoil is 50% less. check it out.

If he can shoot a 20gauge he can handle a .308 with 150gr bullets no problem. That's more than enough for a moose. Since you have plenty of brass on hand you can easily build your own low recoil practice rounds and work your way up to full power loads.

I'd just go with a 30-06, he can practice with low-recoil rounds if the 150s are too much, and before you know it he'll grow into that rifle completely. Sounds like you reload already, so you could put some nice light loads together for him that would have comparable recoil to any smaller round anyway.

A .308 would be a fine cartridge for him, especially since it is large enough for most Alaskan game and can grow with him for years. Another fine option, as mentioned above, is a 7mm-08. Without a doubt, though, the .308 is not too light for moose. A bullet through the lungs will kill a moose of any size in a fairly short time.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If he can shoot a 20gauge he can handle a .308 with 150gr bullets no problem. That's more than enough for a moose. Since you have plenty of brass on hand you can easily build your own low recoil practice rounds and work your way up to full power loads.
    I agree with AKDOUG. Hodgens has a section on the internet that gives some starting loads for reduced recoil and specificaly has them for the .308. The caliber is every bit up to the task for a moose, just keep your range in reason for the gun and the shooter. You already have the brass and that makes it a deal sealer

You already made the best decision to go with what you have brass for: the 308 Winchester. You can get with a fellow reloader from this forum, and make a bunch of 125 grain starting loads for your son's future 308. When he's had his fun target practicing with those, you can sight in his rifle for something heavier like a 165 grainer. The 308's come in short and handy rifles that will grow with the boy.

You can push a 200 grainer (2,450-2,550 fps) with the 308 no problem which is the minimum legal bullet size for some of the hunts up here. If the boy drew a coveted "tag of a lifetime", he'd still be legal with a 308. As far as a fist rifle for Alaska, I'd take a 308 over any of the other smaller cartridges based of the 308 case (243 win, 260 rem, 7mm-08). A short stock isn't always needed with most 11 yr. old boys. Though some guys think they HAVE to go with a shorter stock, it simply isn't always the case. Even though people throw around the term "starting caliber" the 308 is hardly that. The 308 is a serious hunting cartridge that is 99% of any 30-06, but in a lighter, and shorter rifle with less recoil. In fact, I'd prefer the handling qualities of a 308 sized gun over any 30-06.

The 308 winchester doesn't need any more than 20" of barrel. I also think it's best that a kid learn on open sights too, so by getting him a rifle that doesn't have none, is doing him a disservice. About the most affordable and relatively lightweight 308 with open sights and a 20" barrel is the ruger compact rifle with open sights. The last time I priced one it was about $630 ordered from Wal Mart
    http://ruger.com/products/m77RugerCo...um/models.html

Attached Images Attached Images

My Wife use's a 308 tikka T3 and she is not buch bigger than you 11 yr old i bet. She took a 60' last fall with two shoots and it dropped hard. 180gr is about the best for a 308 for both close and longer shoots and you will not see much more recoil from that over a small grain bullet. The heavier bullet will also stay together a bit better as well.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

This list is by no means a complete list but just some calibers that would be good for an 11 year old moose hunter. They will also work for black bear, caribou, deer, sheep and just about anything else short of bison or brown bear, and a couple would even be good enough for that. I am buying my 9 year old daughter a 7mm-08 specifically for moose this fall.

30-06
    7mm-08
    .30-30
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I want to thank mainer for pointing out I'm a horrible father for getting my 11 year old daughter a 7mm-08 with a youth stock... Now with all that most of these "guy" saying get a 308 well i seen pictures of these guys and of course they are going to say ah a 308 don't kick that much blah blah. I tangled with a 308 years ago in a mossberg holy smokes that thing hurt. The current 308 I have is my wifes an dit shoots good and not much for recoil well for me. But I shoot 165 out of it don't plan on going any heavier.
    I loaded some 7mm-08 for my daughter 140gr heck I thought they were light I shot them no problem. She gets behind the gun show her the right techniques hold etc. 3 shots later she is crying say she had enough uh oh. Following week I'm out there with the 250-3000 loaded with 90gr hollow points boy she is out there having the time of her life. Even a 125gr pill out of a 308 will kick a young kid be careful. I have a 7mm-08 in youth model if you ever want to get together so your son can shoot it let me know. I have a 308 as well but I have no bullets in 125-150 range.

I have a Ruger M77 .270 for sale. It is in like new condition and comes with a Leupold VXii 3X9. I am asking $650 for it.

IMG-20120225-00249.jpg

As many have said, the 308 is good round and plenty of cartridge for moose. Just get out one that has a quality recoil pad.

I learned to shoot at that age, using a 12ga and a .30-06'. If he handles the 20ga well I would see no reason not to get him an 06' shooting 150grn bullets, as he grows he step up to heavier loads as they suit him.

Recoil is mainly physics. If you handload, and it seems you do, build up a load for the rifle that has low recoil. There are recoil calculators on the web. Try this one; http://realguns.com/calculators/recoil.html
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Well for those of you saying recoil will be minimal. Meet me at the range I will let you all shoot my rigby.

Hell, 323, I started my oldest daughter off with a .243 and I let her hunt cow moose with it. My youngest girl started off with a 7mm-08 and handloaded her own 120 grain ammo for it. My son is huge, he started off with a .270. All of these were good starter rifles with appropriate sized stocks for them. My biggest complaint is that had I realized how expensive it was going to be to have four different rounds that my family hunted with I would have bought them all .308's so at least we'd have bullets in common with my 30-06's. Hence, my recommendation that he stick with a .308 for his family.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Recoil is mainly physics. If you handload, and it seems you do, build up a load for the rifle that has low recoil. There are recoil calculators on the web. Try this one; http://realguns.com/calculators/recoil.html
    It is a combo of fit, stock design and physics. I shoot my 325WSM ABolt with no issues but my wife's short stocked Ruger compact in 308 mutilates my shoulder in short order. She shoots the same loads just fine, but the rifle actually fits her. While not a "moose gun" my kids love shooting my AR in 6.8SPC. Even the 4 year old enjoys it though he doesn't hit what he is aiming at with it yet. For Caribou, black bear, and deer it is the finest setup I have found + the 6 pos stock means it fits the entire family and a QD bipod keeps them all steady.

If moose is the goal the 308 will do you well. A Rem model 7 would be sweet and if he decides to catch sheep fever later it is a great foundation for a custom ultralight.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Well for those of you saying recoil will be minimal. Meet me at the range I will let you all shoot my rigby.
    Not saying recoil is minimal.

Not that it matters but I also have a 416 rigby. Recoil is strong but I've let girls shoot mine.... but they tend to not like the 454 casull as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot907 View Post
    I'm new to the forum and I am sure it has been talked about before but I need some advice on a youth rifle. I have an 11 year old who wants to shoot a moose this fall. He has shoot grouse and pheasant with both a 20 ga and 410 with no recoil problems and is a decent shot with a 22. I am thinking about getting him a 308 because I have a lot of brass already. I am concerned about going that light for moose but do not want to hammer him at a young age by getting him somthing too large. Let me know what you think.
    I think that you should get him into a .300 RUM with a muzzle break...I have four kids ages 10,11,13,and 14 and they can all shoot the .300 RUM accurately and efficiently without any complaining about recoil. I think that it's pretty sweet that kids that age can shoot accurate groups at long range...Makes me proud

my brother and i were started out on 30-06s as kids at 10 years old......i still shoot 30-06 even though i own a .300wm, i dunno i just feel confident and know what i can do with the 06

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast