Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand X

Default Brand X

I own the "brand X" boat from the by now infamous load test. Very long story pretty much covered by the threads in Mel's post. Pretty entertaining reading all the posts. I'm hoping that several boats will show up for Mel's test only because I'm curious and it would be great to see all the different flavors of these things in a controlled environment. My boat is stock; the only difference from out of the factory will be the new hi-scew impeller. I agree with several of the posts in that all of these boats are great; none are perfect, and the differences between them are why we buy one vs. another and are willing to pay ridiculous $. I have the phantom mostly because it's made in America, and has the cargo bay in the front.

When I looked at the Phantom last year at the show it appeared there was a what I would consider a significant gap (like 1/2 to 3/4 inch) between the sidewalls and the bottom aluminium deck in the storage areas front and back. Is yours the same way and if so have you had any problem with stuff (loose weights, anchor line etc. ) sliding between them. I understand leaving a spot to drain but the one I saw was attached basically on the bottom corners only.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I have plastic floorboards in both the cargo bay and cab, with only air and/or positive floatation (in places) between them and the hull. There are gaps at the sides to let water/junki run through. This is basis for the SJX claim for abrasive wear and the whole skip weldng vs. full welding controversy, welded decks, etc. The floorboards are very easy to remove to allow cleaning the passages. Great boat, but they all are. If I was looking at new boats, I'd give the Predator serious consideration. Sea Ark's are really good, tough boats.

Thanks for the reply
    I was wondering about that.
    I was looking at either the Jetcraft extreme shallow or the SJX from Compeaus. I have not been in one of these skinny water rockets yet but they look like a blast.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Welcome to the forum! Its always nice to have more jet boaters around...even if they do drive phantom's hehe

As far as the situation goes with your boat, do you feel it was new, or used when you bought it....just curious. I personally feel there is a big difference between "used" and "tested."

Joe
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Welcome to the forum! Last year we were looking at either the Jetcraft Extreme Shallow or the Wooldridge Alaskan XL. Since a friend had the ES, we settled on the Wooldridge Alaskan XL in part due to all the positive feedback we were getting from other members (and TMJ's videos looked awesome!). Pretty well satisfied, but as a lot of other people stated, they all are good boats depending on what you use them for.

When was this gathering slated with HalibutGrove (Mel)? The locked thread "Load Test" seemed to have disappeared......

There is a gathering on May 20th at the Knik River (not sure what time - I don't think it's been decided yet - see current thread). Hope to meet you there!
    Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Last year we were looking at either the Jetcraft Extreme Shallow or the Wooldridge Alaskan XL. Since a friend had the ES, we settled on the Wooldridge Alaskan XL in part due to all the positive feedback we were getting from other members (and TMJ's videos looked awesome!). Pretty well satisfied, but as a lot of other people stated, they all are good boats depending on what you use them for.

When was this gathering slated with HalibutGrove (Mel)? The locked thread "Load Test" seemed to have disappeared......

There is a gathering on May 20th at the Knik River (not sure what time - I don't think it's been decided yet - see current thread). Hope to meet you there!
    Tammy
    Tammy, looking at the calender I'm thinking 26 or 27th on Wasilla lake for doing load testing. I'll cover the launch fee if you decide to join us.

Hi Halibutgrove - That's Memorial Day weekend, and I think the 2012 AOJ Spring Jetboat Gathering is that weekend which we are considering attending (providing I get my PWS Spring Bear the weekend before ). We are hoping to be at the Knik gathering on 5-20-12 (Sunday) - see the other thread. Then there's the 2012 Prop Boat Gathering in Whittier with our other boat ..... Gosh, winter can't get over soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    Hi Halibutgrove - That's Memorial Day weekend, and I think the 2012 AOJ Spring Jetboat Gathering is that weekend which we are considering attending (providing I get my PWS Spring Bear the weekend before ). We are hoping to be at the Knik gathering on 5-20-12 (Sunday) - see the other thread. Then there's the 2012 Prop Boat Gathering in Whittier with our other boat ..... Gosh, winter can't get over soon enough!
    Ugh!! I was thinking Memorial Day was the following weekend. Maybe Jun 2 or 3d. I'm "Semper Gumbi" Always Flexible on the date. I just have to bring a boat up the inside passage starting in early May and not sure when we'll be back. What a dilemma!

Welcome raven. We all may beat up on Mel. But at end of me giving him heck I'll run the river with him any time.

I don't care what kind of boat you have. I just in joy playing on the rivers and fishing. That's why all about in my mind. Until you beach your Phamton 3 times in half mile (Derek).....

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfApHgwVsA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Hey ya'll,

So from some of the previous posts, it sounds like the first big Knik River Run of 2012 will be on Sunday, May 20. I'm thinking that we should meet at the launch (under the Glenn Highway) between 9:30 - 10:00am if that's kool with everyone. Me and Marley (and even my wife) along with a couple freinds will be there ready to run. It was mentioned that maybe heading up to the glacier first once the boats are all warmed up and ready to go. I was thinking that would be best, maybe get up there before the afternoon breezes kick in, as they are some cold sumaguns coming off that ice. Once we get our fill of the glacier and then start heading back down, we can find a nice spot for a day camp (maybe somebody knows of a nice spot we can all get into), we can get a fire going, crack open a couple cold ones and eat some good food. Maybe do the potluck sort of thing. I can bring the dogs, the burgers and all the buns for both, someone can bring the condiments and others can bring sides and drinks. Dont forget to fill your boats with fuel and oil (happened twice last year so I'm just throwing it out there) as well as your jackets for the chill at the glacier, your cameras and your chairs as well as anything else you want to play with...then maybe it'll be time to find the skinny water and see who can stick it first(watch out for them sandbars Tony ha, ha, ha). Sounds like there will be a fairly good amount of folks going and with the winches and all the strong dudes that will be there, it should be no problem get them back a floatin.

These are just a couple idiers I thought I would through out there. Any other idiers from the rest of the group??? Lets hear them.... looking forward to then... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Ugh!! I was thinking Memorial Day was the following weekend. Maybe Jun 2 or 3d. I'm "Semper Gumbi" Always Flexible on the date. I just have to bring a boat up the inside passage starting in early May and not sure when we'll be back. What a dilemma!
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Hey ya'll,

So from some of the previous posts, it sounds like the first big Knik River Run of 2012 will be on Sunday, May 20. I'm thinking that we should meet at the launch (under the Glenn Highway) between 9:30 - 10:00am if that's kool with everyone. Me and Marley (and even my wife) along with a couple freinds will be there ready to run. It was mentioned that maybe heading up to the glacier first once the boats are all warmed up and ready to go. I was thinking that would be best, maybe get up there before the afternoon breezes kick in, as they are some cold sumaguns coming off that ice. Once we get our fill of the glacier and then start heading back down, we can find a nice spot for a day camp (maybe somebody knows of a nice spot we can all get into), we can get a fire going, crack open a couple cold ones and eat some good food. Maybe do the potluck sort of thing. I can bring the dogs, the burgers and all the buns for both, someone can bring the condiments and others can bring sides and drinks. Dont forget to fill your boats with fuel and oil (happened twice last year so I'm just throwing it out there) as well as your jackets for the chill at the glacier, your cameras and your chairs as well as anything else you want to play with...then maybe it'll be time to find the skinny water and see who can stick it first(watch out for them sandbars Tony ha, ha, ha). Sounds like there will be a fairly good amount of folks going and with the winches and all the strong dudes that will be there, it should be no problem get them back a floatin.
    Bob sounds like a good plan, If I'm back, I'll bring some moose products from the freezer for the grill. Sticking a few boats sounds fun. Could be a good training exercise to see what recover systems work best, parachute, winch setup etc.

A course in learning how to read the water to keep off of sand bars would make more sense. LOL

Sure the course will be titled "Hard knocks" and in my opinion Knik is great at teaching that way with the grey water and constant braiding! At least with a group of boats watching the guy in front will give you a clue where to run and more importantly where NOT to run. The best part is there doesn't seem to be any big sharp rocks out there so the lessons are fairly painless at least for the boat... My body seems to find something to bang into that is hard or sharp during rapid deceleration 9 times out of 10.

They're all fun. I haven't been in one, but if I was looking now the Predator would be interesting. The one I saw in a parking lot was 18', same power, 3/16" bottom. SJX to me is same performance as Phantom, not as loud (both exhaust and solid vs. skip welding), and beefier frame. $ were a concern for me when I looked at new SJX. I'd never buy a used one of these boats unless I was real familiar with its' history.

Thanks for the welcome, I can't answer you short so here goes. I thought I was buying new. Since the factory confirmed that it was my boat a year after I got it, I've felt I bought somewhat used, and hopefully not abused, for new price. After my head was done exploding, I talked to Mercury a few times and made a friend over the phone with a pretty good young man. He explained to me that, while you should do the 10 hour break-in (which I faithfully did in lakes, fun as mowing the lawn), they run them enough at the factory that they're pretty much broken in. And he said the chips still mess with the mix till they burn out so it was running pretty rich for the load test. He also understood that I would be contacting him and all parties concerned if I have motor problems. I'm fine with the boat, and had 40 hours on it before I knew it was brand X

You have a great boat, and if it was available when I bought mine, I would have looked hard at it. I've always felt personally that your boat will go a little faster and haul more than me, but that you can't start quite as shallow as I can. Your boat is more comfy and user friendly, and you don't need an intercom to survive. You are 4" wider and are flatter in the water than me unless I load up. I seem to spend a lot of time going backwards and sideways in places I probably shouldn't be, so the big pedastal under my motor offsets all the other stuff for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenrisk.1 View Post
    I own the "brand X" boat from the by now infamous load test. Very long story pretty much covered by the threads in Mel's post. Pretty entertaining reading all the posts. I'm hoping that several boats will show up for Mel's test only because I'm curious and it would be great to see all the different flavors of these things in a controlled environment. My boat is stock; the only difference from out of the factory will be the new hi-scew impeller. I agree with several of the posts in that all of these boats are great; none are perfect, and the differences between them are why we buy one vs. another and are willing to pay ridiculous $. I have the phantom mostly because it's made in America, and has the cargo bay in the front.
    How's Saturday May 20th or the first weekend one of the lakes thaw in the valley. When's Wasilla Lake typically break open?
    Last edited by LuJon; 03-02-2012 at 11:59.
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Now that we know half of the story it's time to verify the other. Maybe we should start a sticky and call it,

Load Test Challenge (The Resurrection)

How brand-x came to be is now verified, lets have some fun testing her. How's Saturday May 20th or the first weekend one of the lakes thaw in the valley. When's Wasilla Lake typically break open?
    My bad, that would be Saturday May 19th.

Yes sir, I would agree but some like the real skinny stuff... hopefully it won't be boat thats on the beach... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    A course in learning how to read the water to keep off of sand bars would make more sense. LOL
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast