Thread: Northern Brooks sheep & crampons

Default Northern Brooks sheep & crampons

Would you take your crampons to the northern brooks range on a sheep/griz hunt or leave them at home?

I'm a crampon believer,, but I have never needed them or wished I had them in the Northern Brook during Sheep season.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hunting sheep in the Brooks range is somewhat strange because almost all the vegitation is either on the valley floor or low on the mountain slopes. And the upper parts of the mountains are a noonscape of rock and dirt. The rams are usually not up really high in the rocky mountain tops unless they have already been pressured by somebody or something.
    So for the first half of the sheep season I think I would not be concerned with crampons.
    But snow can come early in that country, so I would be inclined to have crampons if my hunt was in the last 10 days of the sheep season.
    While flying between Cold Foot and the Ivichak River I have not observed the type of snow fields and glaciers that cause me concern. Speaking only for myself, note that I always hate crossing large white-ice glaciers.

Never needed them up there either. On PWS, where you have rain on top of moss and slime grass absolutely.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've never carried them up there while hunting but twice up in the headwaters I wish I had. Once while going up over a glacier to try to get into another valley and once while packing a sheep down a canyon when I ran into old snow that should have been melted the rain made the surface extremely slick and things got hairy for about an hour. Other than that I would say no unless I was going back up towards those glaciers.

Thanks guys - I need to shave weight (best savings I can find is in my beer gut!) - so they will stay at home.

This is mostly a Griz hunt, but the more we find out the more it seems that chasing sheep might be the best way to stumble on a griz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Thanks guys - I need to shave weight (best savings I can find is in my beer gut!) - so they will stay at home.

This is mostly a Griz hunt, but the more we find out the more it seems that chasing sheep might be the best way to stumble on a griz.

Yep,, we have found them together up that way.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Looks like the decision has already been made but would echo what everyone else has said. 8 days up there last year and while a flying carpet would have been nice at one point a set of crampons wouldn't have made a difference.

On my first sheep hunt that I was die-hard to do I shaved off 25 pounds. I figured that my 45 pound pack then only weighed 20 pounds, or so goes the theory on the abuse on my back and body. Loosing the 25 was the best thing to do. Besides the weight for 2 months I loaded 30 pounds into the pack and wore it for a mile hike and up a 10% grade the last 200 yards, shot my bow on the slopes, then hiked back home. You may not like the abuse before the hunt but trying to get help during a heart attack up there is kind of rough to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Hunted the Brooks only four times and have been in on six sheep kills in that range. Crampons would have been worthless where we hunt. Chugach and parts of Alaska Range they have value. Some of Wrangells too.