Thread: Float trip advice.

Default Float trip advice.

I am getting my summer affairs in order and wanted to plan a float trip in addition to all the other things Im going to be doing. I will be floating sometime between June and July 15th but I have some questions and reservations.

Sooooo.....

Where would be a good place to float for the first time floater? I have powered boat and have cruised some of the river systems here but I know a float trip is gonna be way different.

I will be with a friend and we would like to do some camping on our float say 2-3 days so keep that in mind.

What type of watercraft would be best? Kayak, cataraft thing?

Any other advice etc would be appreciated.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Yo batmobile,
    First off, to help guide you we will need some more information .......
    Must your trip be road accessable?
    Is a fly-in and fly-out trip gonna break the budget?
    Do you have rafting experience?
    Renting a raft? Borrowing, or buying? Yes, a medium size (14'+-) cataraft thing would work well.

If you can devote 5 or 6 days to this trip I often suggest rafting the Gulkana River, from Paxson Lake to Sourdough.
    It is kind of like being remote, but without the usual costs of aircraft flights. Both ends of that float are road accessable.
    It is almost like being in the wilderness, but with 20 other boat loads of rafters. Your never really, really alone and never more than six walking miles from a paved road.
    The Gulkana River is full of Greyling and you just might hit the King Salmon run in early July.
    Well, there one suggestion. That one, along with many others are in the archived threads.

I can easily devote 5-6 days. I took an entire month off this summer to go and live in the wilderness. I do not want to fly in because it is very expensive and I spent some money on camping supplies and a salt water charter trip. I will most likely be renting or borrowing the raft or kayak. I have a little experience but you're not going to see me on ESPN's extreme sports any time soon.

Ive heard the Gulkana is awesome but the water moves wicked fast through there. After the float down how does one typically get that far back up to get their vehicle?

Take a look at the upper and lower Gulkana River. Only 1 area of tough water in the upper section and good fishing as well.

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile

I figure when you took a whole month off last summer to be in the wilderness... I don't reckon ya want to spend this summer float trip out on a stream with a bunch of roadside river-runner traffic over peak time on the Gulkana. Not knocking the Gulkana for first-time rafters on a multi-day... only more or less relating that this is a shake down cruise of sorts for the 3-7 dayer float. It does indeed have good waters, not all that demanding in overall character, with good fishing. Issue is more --- well... more people having same easy accessibility. Real downsides I see are more folks on this river at this time of season and the messing around driving and/or shuttling over what turns into taking a full day to day + in logistics (that 'not in the wilderness' time-line).

Given 3 days and having just two in your party, I'd likely choose better logistics of a short mileage (no more than around 100 miles) fly-in float trip -- certain of keeping gross weight (2 of you, boating, camping, and fishing gear, including food) under 700 lbs. While this does not necessarily buy you absolute solitude wilderness... it will provide a more ideal timeline.

Food for thought based on reasonable Statewide figuring from Major hubs: Raft outfitting or suitable boat will average <$100/day and the round-trip flight 100 mile radius of 'major hub' would end up in the $1300-$1800 expenditure for respected operations. Here you are fishing and on water in +/- an hour or so vs. driving/ eating up days on road, vehicle security, shuttles, etc. What I'm relating is that time is valuable, I do not like leaving my vehicles unattended for too long on roadside crowded/impacted streams, and fly-ins can be very reasonable given ya gettin' it all together.

Wondering why you had posted this in 'Float Hunting' part of forums? Where you planning a hunt on this same river selection/inquiry... doing summer recon to later know the hunt and pace the float?

Thanks for the info guys. A fly in trip is something I do really want to do but that is simply out of my price range right now. If it wasnt for me having to move to a bigger place (expanding family) then I could probably swing it maybe next year. Im not overly worried about driving or leaving my vehicle (if you can get it started you can have it . But a shuttle sounds like it could be a pain.

I will call Walt from gulkana raft rental Ive heard good things.

Im sorry if its posted in the wrong section. I was pretty positive it was posted in fishing but I would like to do a float hunt as well. So much to do here a guy could spend a lifetime trying to get it all done.