Thread: Float hunt for Moose....

Default Float hunt for Moose....

My bro-in-law and I have booked a float in GMU 18 with Papa Bear, Sept 19-30, 2013. We are doing archery, seems pretty doable to us...any comments..ideas..scoffing? Let me know your experiances, Thanks.

The only issue will be the colder weather at the end of the season. It can easily drop below freezing and snow that time of year out there. Otherwise it's a good time to go as the moose should respond well to calls.

Should be a great time, easier meat care, and the moose will definitely be responding to calls.....as in, almost too well. Be careful you don't end up on the wrong end of the romance.

It shouldn't be freezing up enough to make the water low then and as Sept. is a pretty wet month in that area you should have plenty of water in general. Bears should be in the hills lookin for berries and napping places. Hopefully bugs will also be lessened but then again noseeums and whitesox can persist if things get warm without a hard frost.

My group will be hunting with Papa Bear from the 15th-30th that year as well. Might even try to do it this year if we can scrounge up the cash. Shoot me an email and I'll tell you about my experience from last year. I noticed you're from McMinnville. I grew up in Gladstone and cut my archery hunting teeth on elk near John Day and Tillamook. I learned A LOT last year on our 15 day archery moose hunt out here and might be able to help a little with your hunt. One quick tip: Moose are not elk. I'm a "run and gun" archery elk hunter at heart, and that proved to be a real disadvantage when hunting moose. We were still very successful, but it took many miles on the boots and about 12 days to "sort of" figure out how to successfully call in a moose (or just get exhausted enough to SLOW DOWN).

Here's my post just after the hunt:

My first "real" AK moose hunt. First moose down. 11 days on the Yukon Delta got it done at 19 yards. Can't wait for next year!

In the lake

After the swim

Warmer gear on

Time for the last pack out

Orelk6x6

How many were in your party?

Looked to be a lot of work... yet you managed to stop & take pictures and keep a positive attitude. Good job!