Thread: Blue Dot

Default Blue Dot

Picked up a pound of Blue Dot on a whim. Been looking for a "backup" to Unique for mid level target loads in the 357 and 41 magnums. Got home and loaded up 20 test rounds of 41 mag using a Nosler 210 JHP. I was excited to take them out and throw them downrange but a little internet searching lead me to Allient's website, where they expressly state not to use Blue Dot with the 41.

Anybody have any experience with this? Kind of strange, I've got multiple manuals listing this powder for this caliber. I'm going to pull the bullets and punt on this powder in the 41 but I'm curious about the discrepency. Is Blue Dot a "finicky" powder?

Ran a quick search and didnt see much, sorry if this is old news.

I've been using Blue Dot in the 41mag for years in a load that is a lot stiffer than I'm going to mention here and have never had issues. I have a 225gr cast going 1480 from a 6 1/2" BH. That being said, the powder maker has apparently experienced extreme pressures using BD in the 41Mag in some loadings. I will be using the remainder of my BD in a 44Mag. Sometimes certain powders do strange things in some loadings. Because I have only one *, I will not be using BD in the 41. Besides that I have other powders that I like better than BD for mid range loads that meter better. I like W231 or Univeral Clays as both meter better for me and take less powder ( cheaper ) to get midrange velocities. It wasn't well published, but there was a warning from the powder maker about this.

I donít use it in 41 but it sure makes a 10mm or 357 sing right along. If the maker says donít do it I wouldnít and there are better powders for that case size anyway.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Kinda weird to me coming from Alient, and worth following up with them. I know lotsa folks that like it for 41. It's not a popular bullet any more, but a friend swears by Blue Dot with 180 grain jacketed bullets from his 44 mags. He pulled the load from one manual or another, and results make it easy to understand his enthusiasm. It really comes into its own with 4" and shorter barrels in 44 mag.

yeah, dont know about the whole deal, it seems strange to me. I notice that they warn against the 125 gr 357 load as well, but all other weights are supposedly fine? I'm with fields though, if the maker says no, I wont tempt it. Besides, the ol bullet puller could use a little workout!

I can't speak for Blue Dot in 41 Mag or any handgun for that matter. However, when I want a replacement for Unique my first choice is usually Alliant Herco. I usually have to use more powder than I would with Unique but most times it is a suitable replacement.

Dan

I've shot lots of Blue Dot from the 41 Mag. 13.5 grains with the 210-220 grain bullets is about max and a very good performer. you can load those bullets as light as 12.0 grains before seeing unburned powder. In the 357 with 158 grain bullets loads from 11.0 to 12.5 grains works well. I don't think it is finicky but it gives good results in a very narrow range of pressures. Lower pressures don't burn clean and ...well there are pressure limits. I use it for full house 10 MM loads.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?