Thread: Kasilof and Russian

Default Kasilof and Russian

I am planning to fish the Kasilof the 10, 11 and maybe the 12th. My question is should I take a day each on the Russian and Kenai and get a campground near them such as Centennial or Russian River or just base operations from the Crooked Creek? Help!

Default How are you travelling?

Are you in an RV or a tent or might you consider staying in a lodge? the Kenai/Centennial campground is 50 miles or so from the Russian and 20 from the Kasilof. To me that would be the most central location for you and Centennial is a very nice campground. There is also camping at the Moose River which would put you 12 miles from Centennial but right at the confluence of the Kenai and the Moose Rivers, 30 from the Kasilof and about 40 from the Russian. Just depends on how much driving you want to do. I'd probably move if I was in an RV and setting up camp wasn't a big deal-stay at each place and move on to the next. More fishing time and less on the road. Good luck.

Default when?

"I am planning to fish the Kasilof the 10, 11 and maybe the 12th."

Ummm, which month?

fish2live- your pm said you're talking about June, so really the best advice one could give right now is to play it by ear when you get here.
    You could be a little early for decent red fishing on the Russian. If the early red run hits the river with the same numbers and timing as the last couple years, it might not be too bad though.
    The Kasilof would most likely be your better or "safer" choice at that time. Usually the early king run is going fairly well by then.
    If it were me, I'd plan on fishing the Kasilof for kings and then if I heard the early run of reds was hitting the Russian, then I'd head up there and give that a shot for a day.
    As I'm sure you know, you never know what the fish are going to do, so be prepared and flexible to change plans and you should be able to find a fish to catch somewhere!
    Good luck!

Another good option in Johnson Lake campground. 3 miles from Kasilof, Crooked Creek. Nice campground instead of a parking lot turned campground.