Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ak Moose Federation plan

Default New Ak Moose Federation plan

Ok, now the Ak Moose Federation has reached new heights of silliness in their attempts to make abundance management look like it's working.

http://www.adn.com/2012/02/28/234181...-relocate.html

Anybody else see the problems associated with this?

Tranquilizing moose in the dead of winter may not be the smartest thing to do to them.
    Moving moose to areas that may or may not have the food they need.
    Moving moose to areas they may just leave again and probably more snow for them to fight unless they get on another road or the railroad causing more collisions.
    Moving moose off their wintering grounds.

Will they be dumping them all in the same place?

This is beyond ignorant.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I can't remember who said it originaly but it was proven when man steps in to intervene with wildlife they usually hurt it worse. Let mother nature take its course and it will work things out in time.

This is a waste of money and I can't see how this helps anything except insurance companys from fixing vehicles. More then likely they will transplant them into an area with that is lacking a big moose population because of predation. The whole plan stinks.

Yeah this is AWESOME! Maybe we can transplant some close to our SFW huntin' grounds. We can start one of those horn arches like Jackson has too, nice and close to the feeding grounds. How much taxpayer money are we giving for this junk? What's the fatality rate for moose that have been tranq'ed and moved? What's the fatality rate for moose under stress from a hard winter, that are then tranq'ed and moved? What is the difference in survival rates between relocated moose and one's that are unmolested? How many moose will this save? (rhethorical question, as there is NO WAY to measure this) How much will this cost, per moose??

Who knows, lets go get them moose and load em up.

I was thinking some more moose signs, a reduction in speed on the road and some roadside stuff, but catching and moving them sounds way crazier and more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineEarl View Post
    .................................................. ...........

I was thinking some more moose signs, a reduction in speed on the road and some roadside stuff, but catching and moving them sounds way crazier and more fun.
    Of course, you have probably seen in the prior long thread on this topic the 'formula'/reason speed reduction will
    'not work' - a formula that gives speeders an undeserved percentage - overall confirmation that we are way too stupid to slow down and LE can't or won't force us to do so ....... sad.
    What a considerate lot we are.

$1.2 million to relocate 10 moose ?!? Typical misuse of taxpayer funds by "non-profit" under the guise of "public safety" in an attempt to boost contributions and public (mis)perception. If ADFG, the legislature and AMF are convinced that these moose are doomed to starvation or death by blunt force trauma why on earth does ADFG not create an emergency hunt, would it not be of much greater benefit to the public, the moose and to the general fund ? Does that make too much sense... OMG, thats it ! Silly me !

relocate them into my freezer. please.
    Semper Fi!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    $1.2 million to relocate 10 moose ?!? Typical misuse of taxpayer funds by "non-profit" under the guise of "public safety" in an attempt to boost contributions and public (mis)perception. If ADFG, the legislature and AMF are convinced that these moose are doomed to starvation or death by blunt force trauma why on earth does ADFG not create an emergency hunt, would it not be of much greater benefit to the public, the moose and to the general fund ? Does that make too much sense... OMG, thats it ! Silly me !
    Right on. Seems to me $1.2 million would go a long way in helping out some local humans who are having a tough winter...then again, 10 moose would sure as heck help feed some folks who need some help right now. I understand that the AMF has their money earmarked to "help" the moose, it's just when they start throwing around figures of spending $120,000.00 PER MOOSE, it makes me wonder what's really important here. Just sayin, that's all.

So let me see if I get this straight.

Let's take a stressed out, fatigued, starving critter. Shoot it with a tranquilizer, stress it out even further, and then relocate it away from the food source it struggled to get to, whereupon it will quite likely struggle to get BACK to the area it deemed safe, and continue beat the crap out of itself to get there.

Riiiiiight. Pure genius.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

man = fail.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    $120,000.00 PER MOOSE.
    Hmmmm--Rough estimates:
    3/4-1 ton Truck to haul moose- 50K
    Fancy padded tilt flat bed with winch- 9K
    Tranquilize gun w/accessories- 1K
    Other (fuel, Insurance, winter gear, GPS, etc)- 5K
    My profit after 1 moose- 55K
    No wait, make it 50K profit--I want 5K for lift with cool tires and rims...

Derby06 contracting wants to submit a bid for the contract.

Where do I send my proposal and resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby06 View Post
    Hmmmm--Rough estimates:
    3/4-1 ton Truck to haul moose- 50K
    Fancy padded tilt flat bed with winch- 9K
    Tranquilize gun w/accessories- 1K
    Other (fuel, Insurance, winter gear, GPS, etc)- 5K
    My profit after 1 moose- 55K
    No wait, make it 50K profit--I want 5K for lift with cool tires and rims...

Derby06 contracting wants to submit a bid for the contract.

Where do I send my proposal and resume.
    I believe they're referring all bids to their lobbyists, Dewy Cheathem & Howe.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Is it just me or does Gary Olson come up with a dumber quote everytime he is interviewed for an article.

First he says we're driving through "herds" of moose, now "we dont have too many moose, there just in the wrong places"...this guy is an embarrassment to his species.

I had almost come around to believing that the AMF was performing a useful service with the moose salvage work and diversion trails they have done this winter. (And I think they have.)

I guess I had I forgotten about the "lets be like Sweden", "lets grow more moose" , "help us create a orphaned calf petting zoo" crap.

Where's the emergency? I still have 5 healthy moose in my neighborhood. Snow depths are DOUBLE that of the Big Lake area. I toot my horn at them, they climb the berm and get out of the way. They aren't even agitated by the kids at all. In fact, three were bedded down in my yard yesterday while we moved snow with my skid steer and backhoe. They are still getting around just fine and feeding regularly.

Are late born calves dieing? You bet they are, in fact most of them are already dead. Happens every winter. This is NOTHING compared to 89/90 when we were litterally plowing the dead (starved) moose off the road ways just to get by them. The railroad killed over 800 that year. They aren't even up to 200 this year and just over 400 on the roadways (compared to 590 in 2009)

I see multiple moose every day out in the valley when going to work. Where are you guys seeing all the starving moose at? I'm not seeing any skin and bones. No lack of calf moose, either. Would think they would be the first to go, yet plenty running around with mom.

This winter ain't even that bad. The difference is that this is the first winter we've had in quite some time where we got some actual snow and some cold weather, something some people who have lived it here for 10 years or less have experienced for the first time around the valley. The last decade or, most of it, has been pretty mild winter-wise.

I tend to agree. Imagine that, we are seeing a lot of moose in the valley this winter since snow pushed them down AND we were ~2500 moose OVER management goal to kick off this winter. My local moose seem fine as well, wonders through every week or so. Next weekend I am planning on making a run from KGB up to willow on sleds so I will get a good look at that country. Might strap the saw to the back of the sled and cut a trail through some birch stands for fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I tend to agree. Imagine that, we are seeing a lot of moose in the valley this winter since snow pushed them down AND we were ~2500 moose OVER management goal to kick off this winter. My local moose seem fine as well, wonders through every week or so. Next weekend I am planning on making a run from KGB up to willow on sleds so I will get a good look at that country. Might strap the saw to the back of the sled and cut a trail through some birch stands for fun though.
    Take a drive out to Big Lake via Hollywood road and drive around out there. I quit counting once I reached over a hundred moose spotted, obviously all within viewing range from the roads....

Lots of moose on Alexander Creek, most look good. We have lots of groomed back trails so I think most will be fine. Think I could get Olson and Rydell and all the scammers at AMF to haul me out a bunch of Haylage?

2500 moose OVER management goal to kick off this winter.
    This, right there, is why the cancellation of the cow seasons was idiotic. I agree with Matt. This winter is nothing compared to several winters since I've lived here. I'll admit to getting soft over the last 10 years, but I still remember 25 years ago. Wonder where the AMF'ers are planning to haul those calves?

I hope to my house cause I love tender steaks!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Got my moose last week, went around the mouth of the creek and up the su in a 4 mile circle. Saw six bulls and found the best looking one all in an hour. Plenty of moose!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast