Thread: DCUA Ram mount

Default DCUA Ram mount

With all the recent ram mount pics, I thought I would show mine. I got this mount back last year from Mike Frazier @ Fur and Feather Taxi. He's done just about every mount that I have and I think he does great work, and he's a super guy to boot.

023.jpg022.jpg

024.jpg

And one more.

Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing and congratulations.

very nice ram! I use mike and only mike as a taxi. I sent my wife's first bear to some other guy in alaska and when it came back 8 months later I was greatly disappointed. That was the last time I sent anything to anyone else but mike. He does phenomenal work and like you said he is a great guy to sit around and shoot the bull with. what time of year was that ram taken?

Awesome ram and mount!

Now that is a great mount!!

That is one nice looking ram!

Congrats on that beauty!! What tag were you hunting at the time? Can we get a field photo?
    Again congrats!! you must be stoked looking at that guy every day...talk about the fever, I don't think he's gonna help any.

Looks a little "tight-lipped" to me though. Isn't there supposed to be some black showing along the lower lip? Or am I not seeing this correctly?

http://www.traceyharmon.com/Mammals/...1853&k=9n6k2jj

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I shot him the 27th of Aug. (late season hunt). Ya Mike, maybe he is a little tight lipped, I never noticed until now. The cape is not from my ram as the ram I shot got pretty messed up in the fall and subsequent rock slide/meat grinder that he went through. I wasn't able to salvage the cape and Mike Frazier had this one that he used for my horns. I never seen the cape prior to him mounting it so I don't know how well the person skinned it out. The lips may not have been turned properly, I don't know what Mike had to work with. Here's a pic in the field, I tried to conseal as much of the carnage as I could in all of the field photos. This is the same photo as on my avitar.

P8270199.jpg

Nice Ram and mount.
    Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Looks a little "tight-lipped" to me though. Isn't there supposed to be some black showing along the lower lip? Or am I not seeing this correctly?

http://www.traceyharmon.com/Mammals/...1853&k=9n6k2jj

-Mike
    I hate to say it but that's what I thought even before I clicked on the thumbnail to enlarge it. To me there's something just not quite right about the mouth.

Yeah, not much left of his jaw in that pic. I can see why you didn't try to salvage it. Your mount looks pissed off , but I kinda like it.

Quick tip for the lips..take it to any Taxidermist..they could easily spray a thin black line around the lip area that is there. This would extend the lip line and you really would not be able to see it. He could actually shave just a little hair off the around the lip line and then sray it black and it would look just like the lips. I have done this with other game in the past when there was not much to work with due to improper turning of the lips...from 4-20ft away..would look alot better. But looks pretty good as is. Just a tax tip.

the hair looks great..clean and very white.. i like that.

DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The mount looks great, looks like he's got a fat dip in his lip.

That's a pretty nice ram though. I think that's what most folks are expecting to find in the TMA. How old was he?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Quick tip for the lips..take it to any Taxidermist..they could easily spray a thin black line around the lip area that is there. This would extend the lip line and you really would not be able to see it. He could actually shave just a little hair off the around the lip line and then sray it black and it would look just like the lips. I have done this with other game in the past when there was not much to work with due to improper turning of the lips...from 4-20ft away..would look alot better. But looks pretty good as is. Just a tax tip.

the hair looks great..clean and very white.. i like that.

DH01
    Good idea....Speaking of "very white".........have they come up with anything yet other than diluted bleach water (which really isn't that good for the hair) to whiten up a mount?

Oh and btw guys.........do not expose your mount to florescent light.....it will yellow the cape on your mount over time more so than regular incandescent light.

Thanks guys for all the replys/comments. I might go ahead and take him back down to see if Mike can do something about his lips with the paint idea. One guy at F&G aged him at 9 and another at 10. I suck at counting rings, so I don't even bother. He is just over 38" on his best side with 13" bases.

Overall, the mount looks very nice, it seems to have a frown though and that is what is throwing it off. I was just looking at some mounts and the lip line doesn't have the frown this one does. Beautiful sheep though.