Thread: .454 Double Tap

Default .454 Double Tap

I noticed that Sportsmans is selling 454 ammo in 325 and 360 gr. Does anyone have experience with this ammo? I'm thinking of trying it in my SRH 7 1/2" It would be carried for defense against large animals at close range.

My apologies if this has been covered here throughly in the past. I realize pretty much every single facet of the subject of handguns and bear defense has been thoroughly discussed here, but I tried the search without much luck and was hoping someone could either give me some insight or steer me to a link here. Thanks!...Louis
    Louis Knapp

The short answer is yes. I'd buy the 360's if it were me. I cast and load a 355er for my 454 and 45 Colt.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Both good rounds if they are DT
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I don't think we have talked about the DT 454 stuff, its not been out long. I haven't tried it but DT makes very good ammo and I'd not fear ether load letting me down, try the 360g bigger is always better as long as you can shoot it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have used most of DT's .454 loads and am partial to the 360s. I even used the 400 grain loads on a wild hog a number of years ago and it was devastating. But I still prefer the 360s. Their 360 .45 Colt load is a very good one as well.

The DT stuff won't load into certain revolvers like the Freedom Arms. SRH are fine, they plop right in. I had sold 360 and 400gr hardcast loads. Never got a chance to shoot one though. I like the round and can handle it just fine. Only shot a taurus with various ammo and 360gr BB I believe. Nice and stout recoil but accurate. Rugers I am told you can hold just a tad lower on the grip and reduces felt recoil a lot.

Thanks, folks. Lot's of great information and advice here. Has anyone seen the 400 gr. ammo at Sportsmans?

I've tried the 360 gr. BB. I don't shoot too many of those in one session, but the recoil wasn't as bad as I expected. The Hogue grips helped quite a bit It's nice to have the option of practicing with the 45 LC as it makes the indoor range usable. I need to get over there soon...Louis
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Thanks, folks. Lot's of great information and advice here. Has anyone seen the 400 gr. ammo at Sportsmans?

I've tried the 360 gr. BB. I don't shoot too many of those in one session, but the recoil wasn't as bad as I expected. The Hogue grips helped quite a bit It's nice to have the option of practicing with the 45 LC as it makes the indoor range usable. I need to get over there soon...Louis
    Louis, BB loads the 360 grain load to a slightly lower presssure and velocity level as a measure to prevent the possibility of crimp pull. It is a very good load.