Thread: type of boat

Default type of boat

What is the opion out there of the best type of boat for lake, and river fishing and hunting. V haul, flat boat, a hybrid. Lookinng to get a boat, need something that can do both. It doensnot have to be sexy, need a good work horse. And any sadvise on a go place that has knowlwdgeable sales department that just dont want your money, i.e. not some dork who can only spell boat. i live in the Mat- Su valley if that hepls any.

We can better help if we know things such as your level of boating experience, budget, typical expected payload(number of persons onboard), any interest in salt water at all ? Sounds like you want "new" or are you open to "used" ?

Weseod
    First off keep in mind, that there is NO one boat out there that will be right for every possible option there is in AK.. an 18 ft flat bottomed river boat is great for the lakes and rivers of Alaska... but trying to do some salt water fishing out of Homer, Seward, Whittier, etc, is only asking for trouble in a flat bottomed boat. I know your in the Military (and thank you for your service) because of another post I read.. so my free advice would be to rent a 16 or 18ft flat bottomed boat from the MWR try it out in a couple lakes and rivers see how it works for you. In the mean time, do a little reading on these boating/fishing/hunting forums see what's working for others. No matter what you choose, it's going to have to be a compromise of some degree.. I've owned and operated quite a few boats since we've lived in AK and I'd be willing to discuss the good and the bad of each if you want to PM me.

Sounds like a 20 foot boat min, I would get a semi-V, and 6 foot bottom, this will work for hunting and fishing. Semi-V-s handle rough water a little better. If you plan to run shallow rivers considre a OB with jet prop combo which will require a lift to make the swap. The wider bottom will help in this regard as it offers more displacement to offset the setback of the motor when using a lift. Depending on the weight of the boat a 150Hp would be a min and more is always better with a jet.

If you enjoy the world of boating you will eventually outgrow a 20 footer, but it will take a few years and do most everything you need. Smaller boat and you will be trading in next year................IMO

If a light hull the Suzuki DF 140 is a great motor, but lots of great motors out there.

If you want more comfort get a windshield, handy for long trips, but does add a few pounds, boats are like airplanes, weight is the enemy, its always a compromise to add more stuff and need more power and then need more fuel to go very far.

Alweld and Searak and many others offer some great value in this type of a boat, there are many others that are built in a similar fashion, they are still welded but often a little lighter in construction than a Wooldridge, North river, etc.

You did not mention going out in the big blue water, but if so then something with higher sides would afford you some ocasional sahays out for a halibut or two.

There are a lot of good deals on used boats, especially in a IB setup, but typically heavier and not as efficent as a prop powered boat.

OB's are nice in a 20 footer as they do not take up any space in the boat, boats are never too big until they are stuck on a gravel bar and you can never have too much gas unless yer ONFIRE.....!

Are you buying new and whats yer budget?

This my opinion for whats its worth, if I didnt mention somebodies favorite above, Too bad,.....LOL
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

mid level boat driver, 5 poeple at the most, just need a good boat

For rivers and big lakes I think a 20 foot inboard jet is about as ideal rig you can find. Semi v hull will slide through the chop much better than any flat bottom yet still allow you to run just about any river. It could do light duty on the ocean if you paid attention to the weather. Look on craigslist in WA, Idaho, and Oregon as well as BC, Canada. You can find a 3-5 year old boat for half what a new one will cost you.

be a good starter & tough as nails....http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2874774668.html
    do some dickering...might be surprised what you can get

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    be a good starter & tough as nails....http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2874774668.html
    do some dickering...might be surprised what you can get

I agree this would be a great starter boat.

Another option is to rent some from Outdoor Rec on post and see what works best for you. They have a decent variety that will give you a good idea of what you need as far as hull design and size.

Ft Rich has great boats for rent. Good idea to rent and try them out. That way you can experiment and find what you like.