Thread: Spot & Stalk Black Bear Hunting along the Steese Hwy

Default Spot & Stalk Black Bear Hunting along the Steese Hwy

I'll be cominng to AK in late August for a Caribou hunt north of the Brooks Range. I plan to have some extra time after the Caribou hunt and would like to do some spot and stalk black bear hunting within a couple hundred miles (north) of Fairbanks. I know that there is a 5 mile closure area along the Dalton Hwy and was thinking about trying either the Elliot or Steese. Are there places off of these roads where I could set up a small camp and glass for bear for a couple of days? Is the terrain in either of these areas conducive to stalking bears once spotted?

I have no problem packing in from the road and setting up camp but being from Florida and having little knowledge of these areas or the terrain I'm not sure if these areas are even good for black bear.

Any other suggestions for areas to look at would be appreciated.

Find the berries, find the bears. You'll have your best luck above the treeline, which is about 2000 ft in the interior. Have a look at a topo map to nail down some perspective areas. Also, old burned areas would be a good spot to do some glassing. Google earth may help some in finding treeless locations.

If you don't want to haul that ucky berry fed bear meat(with much sarcasm)back to Florida you can drop it by my place in Fairbanks!

Good Luck on your hunts!

Akiceman25,

Thanks for the info. I figured it was tied to the berries that time of the year. I've noticed there are 2 recration areas along the Steese Highway, the Pinell and the White Mountain areas. Both have trails and look like a good spot to start. It looks like hunting is allowed in both. Any thoughts on whether these are good places to try?

I've spent a few days in the White mtns near Pinnell mtn and saw wolves, moose, sheep but no bear sign(not saying they aren't there). Many many berries though! Beautiful country for sure.

You may also look at the Elliott highway due to it's proximity to the Minto flats, which is good bear habitat but tough to access on foot. The Rampart-Eureka Road area looks decent on Google earth but I haven't been that far up the Elliott as of yet. Or the area of the Dalton highway south of the Yukon river, which does not have the 5 mile corridor to worry about.

I wouldn't try the White mountains if you are going to be there during moose season. I have hunted moose up there several times and have yet to see a black bear. There will be so much pressure from the moose hunters, I doubt you would see any bears. Good luck.