Thread: Older model 28 S&W question.

Default Older model 28 S&W question.

I inherited a 6 inch model 28 with a few scratches here and there. But a super clean bore. I know it was wrapped up in a oily cloth for the last 30 years. The original grips are long gone and it had some fake bone grips that were cracked. So now I have a modern set of the magnum size grips in there as a stop-gap measure.
    I believe it dates to 1963 or 1964. It is an S prefix with the screw in front of the trigger guard. S2166xx
    Problem is I already have a couple other 357 mags that I do not shoot , so I can't see a reason the have three.

About what type of value are these holding? I only found one for sale on Guns America.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Something like this?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=271231948

I think its 50s, 60s would be 28-2 I think but I could be wrong. Id guess value around $550-650 in good to exhalant without the original grip but thats a guess from a non colector.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Maybe 1959 or 1960 based upon the serial number of the one you linked. It is a plain M-28 not a 28-1 or 28-2.
    And the blueing is in better shape than the one that was linked. And his grips are not original to the correct time period either.

I picked a similar piece up a bit back, perhaps earlier than the one you've inherited. It is early enough that there is no model designation (pre-1957, from what I understand). Absolutely gorgeous 4 inch piece with the original diamond Magna's, and I gave $250 for it from a local pawn. Price was so low that it had me scratching my head wondering what was wrong, but picked the thing up anyway, and didn't question their motive. Glad I did!
    Later model marked pieces I've seen more recently,28's and 28-2's, are actually selling somewhere in the vicinity of $550. but prices actually asked and actually achieved vary greatly region to region, depending on economic factors more than anything. Internet sales on the collector forums are where I've seen the highest prices paid for them are at, the auction sites dont' seem to bring anything near what the enthusiast sites bring. Off the top of my head, I'd put a price somewhere between $450 and $600 for yours, and wouldn't let it go for less. Sit on it till you get a price you're satisfied with, as it ain't costing a thing to feed or house it.
    Unfortunately, I inherited my Dad's six inch 28, one that the family gave to him on his birthday in 1970. Ended up paying $96.00 for it with my employee discount and 3% sales tax! My brother also purchased a spanking new 700 ADL that year for $92.00. Sounds low, till I remember that I was bucking hay, milking, and moving pipe for about a buck and a quarter an hour and was glad to have the work!

Picked up an identical S prefix 28 at the fall show last year for 375.00. Original grips and very slight external wear. but generally you will see them in the 450.00 range at the local shows. the ones that sell , anyway.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Yep and I've seen just the diamond grips sell for better than two hundred on e-bay.They last for even in 357 if you stay away from the 125gr bullets
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

With the high prices of the Mdl 28 I think the Mdl 27 is a much better buy now. Indeed for workmanshp and fit and finish it is hard to beat an early 5 screw Mdl 27 unless you get an early Mdl 29.

I've picked up several Mdl 27s in the $300 range in the last couple of years. My keeper is a 1953 Mdl 27 I got up at the Palmer Show a couple of years ago for $475. It didn't have the orginal grips on it but instead had the slightly later diamond coke grips on it!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I really like the M-28. A five screw gun is an S prefix and post 1957, will be just stamped 28 no dash. I have a significant collection of N frame guns including a 6" 28-2, I prefer the dash 2's because I don't like the fifth screw in the trigger guard and the ejector is left hand thread at dash 2. I bought my 28 as new in the box with all original papers and accessories from guns Down Under when it, and gunbugs, were still there, for $500. I think they are worth about $500 now in solid shape showing a little wear.

I don't think there is any difference in the fit of the 28 vs the 27, but of course the finish and appointments, such as that wide target hammer and trigger on my 27's, will be much nicer on the 27.

I consider a 6 inch 357, be it S&W or the 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk to be hunting revolvers. I've done a lot of cougar, deer, bear and pig hunting with them. I do prefer the larger magnum cartridges but it does work for all.

I do believe the model stamp on all S&W revolvers started in 1957, thus a M27 so stamped would be made after 1956.

Good luck looking for a set of grips. The standard diamond grips or the larger football grips are very pricey. I have found them for as little as $20 in small shops off the beaten path and even found a set of very nice diamond grips at an antique mall for $25 but generally they start at $100.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I think I found the old original grips in a box of junk. They are pretty worn on one side like a pack frame rubbed against them. That is probaby why he changed them out back in the later 60s for the bine looking grips. Which he really liked for some reason.
    Pics tomorrow if I can get the camera to work. .

Default pre- model 28

I got my near new 4" Model 28 for $65 when I was back in high school - probably around '63 or '64. Of course at the time I was only making around $1.70 - $2 hr. so it involved quite a bit of hard work. It is in the S 110xxx range and is not stamped Mod 28 - just the assembly nos. inside the yoke opening so it would be a '56 or '57 gun. I shot the gun extensively as it was the only revolver I had for years and I've managed to hang on to it over the years. . I shot it much less however after I got my first .44 Mags - a SRH, later a RH, then followed by a Mdl 29.

S&W advertised at one time in the '50s that they burnished the chambers with harden steel or carbide balls. Don't know how long they did that but it should have reduced leading and gave a very smooth surface. Before the M29 the M27 was the flagship of S&W, the early 27s certainly qualify as one of S&W best efforts at revolvers. Since the price of the Mdl 28s has jumped so high I've picked up sveral Mdl 27s at about the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I really like the M-28. A five screw gun is an S prefix and post 1957, will be just stamped 28 no dash. I have a significant collection of N frame guns including a 6" 28-2, I prefer the dash 2's because I don't like the fifth screw in the trigger guard and the ejector is left hand thread at dash 2. I bought my 28 as new in the box with all original papers and accessories from guns Down Under when it, and gunbugs, were still there, for $500. I think they are worth about $500 now in solid shape showing a little wear.

I don't think there is any difference in the fit of the 28 vs the 27, but of course the finish and appointments, such as that wide target hammer and trigger on my 27's, will be much nicer on the 27.

I consider a 6 inch 357, be it S&W or the 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk to be hunting revolvers. I've done a lot of cougar, deer, bear and pig hunting with them. I do prefer the larger magnum cartridges but it does work for all.

I do believe the model stamp on all S&W revolvers started in 1957, thus a M27 so stamped would be made after 1956.

Good luck looking for a set of grips. The standard diamond grips or the larger football grips are very pricey. I have found them for as little as $20 in small shops off the beaten path and even found a set of very nice diamond grips at an antique mall for $25 but generally they start at $100.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Yeah, about right. the Highway Patrolman was introduced in 1954 for the Texas H.P. first S/N was 107,500, according to Jinks.
    1957 was the year of model number stamped in the frame. I bought my first 357, a H. P. when I was 14. (Before GCA '68) Was also a 4" and I used it for all the 38 specials I could load. (My first cartridge to load for) I traded it off years later for a 1911. It did give trouble with the ejector unscrewing and that cylinder latch up front didn't always hold with heavy 357 loads, but it was a good gun.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Here she is along with the 1960s fake bone grips and what I think may have been the original grips that were being worn so bad on one side by a back-frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Here she is along with the 1960s fake bone grips and what I think may have been the original grips that were being worn so bad on one side by a back-frame.
    Nice piece. If you are wanting to part with it, I'd be interested. Those look to be era stocks, probably the originals. I find it a little funny you refer to the "fake bone grips". I believe those were very common in the '60's. They are actually fake stag grips but, get this, are likely made of bone. Cow bones, leg bones. My dad used to make them from, cattle leg bones, pistol grips and knife scales. I can't tell for sure but they look like it. Even yellowed nicely with age. But in any case a very nice, strong revolver, a dash 2.

Nope she is a pre-dash model. With the screw in front of the trigger guard.
    I checked the serial number that was stamped in the old stocks and they go to # 203876 an even earlier S&W.
    I know he had a 3 1/2 in bbl model 27 that he carried around for years as well, so maybe they went to that revolver.

I took this old gal out today, (after lots of snow shoveling) to see if she could compete with my old Colt Python.
    I screwed on a set of more modern (1970s) Model 28 grips for the range session. I know this gun has not been fired since 1970 or 71.

25 yards, temp 20 F, light snow failing light.

Rem 158 grain jacketed soft points: 1,330 fps average and a 3.5 inch group
    Fed 158 Grain jacketed soft points: 1,220 fps average and a 5.0 inch group
    Fed 125 Grain jacketed Hollow pt : 1,480 fps average and a 5.5 inch group

The Remington factory loads were all within 5 fps of each other.
    The Federal ammo was all over the place velocity wise.

The Yellowing bone (fake stag) stocks are marked inside. They have a big 21 and then Marina Style.
    Followed by
    38/44 Heavy Duty
    38/44 Outdoorsman (I used to have one of those)
    357 Magnum
    Attached Images Attached Images

So those old stag grips are likely pre war. Jinks says M28 started at serial number S107,500 and that dash one was 1960 and dash two was 1962. He speaks generically about the 357 (M27) as the top side platte screw was eliminated about serial number S175,000 and the ejector was left hand threaded about then and to so designate these changes the dash one was used in 1960. The cylinder stop was changed in 1962 and the dash two was born. Yours has not top plate screw so it is probably one of the rare few that had the change made but not yet stamped -1.

I would think it would shoot right there with the Python, good ammo matters. I find light bullets in the 357 do not shoot with the 158's. My M28-2, 6" out shoots everything except my 5" M27-2. I am a dash two guy when it comes to the N frames. fewer screws and still pinned and recessed. You have a very nice old revolver there. Congrats!