Thread: Tangle Lakes Fishing

Default Tangle Lakes Fishing

What is the best time to fish Tangle lakes? I was thinking early June right at ice out and before the bugs. Any input would be helpful. We will be doing our first family camping/fishing trip.

.. late season for tangle after the fisheez are fat from eggs (gulkana) I think Tangle area overall is better late season (aug)

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Considering the ice does not go out untill around mid June I have done well July through sept.....
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I was in there last fall helping my dad pack out his caribou. I fished the stream between the lakes on the first week of September. It was big fat Grayling on almost every cast even with the ratty old fly I put on. I only threw a few casts when we stopped for a break, but I might have to spend a little more time at it next time. We only kept the biggest ones, and had 4 big fish for dinner in less than 10 minutes.

Tangle Lks 2011 003.jpg

A lot depends on what your fishing for. The best Grayling time will be July, from my experience, and I have fished there a lot! But, if your going after Lakers or Burbot, your time frame will work out better. I've fished the Tangles every spring for the last 11 years, usually the first time around Memorial day. About half of those years I was unable to fish because the ice was still locked in, minus a small area where the river dumps in. No matter what, you'll have fun and catch some fish.

Also, great pic Arctic Mayhem! Walking the stream between the lakes is a blast. Just need hip waders and your good to go!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Dont pass on fishing Paxon lake at ice out early to mid june for lake Trout.

Upper or Lower Tangle Lakes?

Both offer something different. The Lower at the last lake just before the River is outstanding for Lakers with spinning gear. Landes a bunch last July along with 100's of Grayling in 3 days of fun. The upper lakes can be good, Upper tangle is very deep and takes a lot of work to get to but well worth the effort

Walt Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Canoes, Rafts and SOAR Hunting Canoes on the Gulkana and Delta Rivers
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Drop Camps and Float hunting in unit 23-Kotz
    907-259-4290