Thread: Line recommendations for a 4/0 Penn Special Senator

Default Line recommendations for a 4/0 Penn Special Senator

I just picked up a new 4/0 Penn Senator on a killer sale at Trustworthy to throw on my halibut pole. I was hoping for some guidance on what kind of line to fill it up with, specifically quantities of backing and then recommendations for a mainline. I fish mostly out of Homer and Deep Creek with buddies. Thanks!

For my halibut reels i back them with any mono i have handy to keep the braid from slipping. i then spool up with Power Pro 80lb and call it good. I tie that off to a good snap swivel and i am set. how much do they have them on sale for?

They have 10% off all of their halibut reels and they included them in their 25% off bucket promotion on Saturday so I got it for about 55 bucks. I picked up an extremely lightly used penn mariner rod for 15 bucks this fall, so I think I have a pretty serviceable rig for occasional trips out fishing that didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

WOW for that i would have grabbed one as i need one. Thats a great deal!

I put 100lb powerpro on my penn international. You will definitely want some mono on the bottom to keep the braid from spinning, it won't do it right away but it will eventually.

High speed senators are my favorite offshore reels. I have 2 6/0s and 5 4/0s. I fish them for red snapper, grouper, amberjack and other toothy critters in the Gulf of Mexico, mostly around oil rigs and artificial reefs to depths up to about 300 feet. I wish I could bring them and my rods to AK when I visit but the baggage fees for oversize packages is too high to justify.

I recommend either 80 or 100 lb PowerPro. PowerPro has never failed me, even th 30 lb test on my spining rods. The thinner the line the less it will be pulled by current which is a grat advantage of braid over much thicker mono. As others say, put at least a couple of layers of mono underneath the PowerPro. Fill up the spool to get the most pick-up per turn of the handle. I hope the one you bought has the red side plates which makes it the high speed version. If it is black, it is not a high speed model and you'll spend a lot of time winding. Check to make sure all of the screws are tight. I had a bad experience with screws coming out when a friend was using one and he didn't tell me about it until some internal parts were ruined. I was able to fix it as good as new, but cost $30 for parts. One last thing, rinse off after using and spray with WD-40 to prevent chrome from pitting. Oh, and I'm not familiar with the rod you have. If it has metal guides you should not use any spectra-based line or it will groove the guides and the line will be damaged.

I am with KGPCR and other on most of this; 65 lb power pro is fine too, but you have lots of capacity so go with the 80, unless you find a real deal on the 65...yep, I have 100 powerpro on some of my reels but it is not necessary (our biggest halibut is 244 lbs on 50 lb powerpro!

Now...elsewhere you will see that others have said that you can put a few wraps of electrical tape on the spool and it will keep powerpro or other spectra from slipping...this works if the spool arbor is big enough in diameter, I think the Senator is not. Another reason you will want to use mono: your reel will break your bank if you only put say 20 yards of mono on....fill it about halfway with mono, then the rest with powerpro 65 or 80, you will still get at least 300-400 yards of powerpro on the reel, plenty to fish with....oh, yeah, another reason not to go with 100, and 80 can be a problem too, is trying to break the line if you get snagged....you don't want to have to lose 100 yards or so of line! Yep, you can use a slightly weaker mono leader at the bottom for a little stretch and to make the line break at the bottom if you have to break it off.

Penn Mariner is a good solid rod, will be fine for halibut...that 244 pounder was caught on a Penn 310 GTI with a 2-piece old Penn Long Beach rod, rated to 25 lbs.! Do NOT worry about the powerpro or any other spectra line cutting into your guides, yes this will happen eventually but you will be too old to care and have a bunch of other rods by then!

I'm down to my last 4/0 high speed senator. I've got it backed with 80# dacron, don't recall if it's 50 or 100yds, and then topped with 200yds of 80# braid. The challenge with the older reels designed for mono is that with braid you only need a fraction of the reels capacity so packing most of the reel with backing is the way to go. If I was to back another one I'd probably go with 30# mono as I have a montster spool of it, though 50# would be fine. You really don't need the backing to be the same strength as the main line.

Make sure that you fill the backing under tension so that the braid doesn't dig into it, same goes with the braid. If you don't load it under tension, the braid will dig in and lock up your reel.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.