Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunting whites

Default Sheep Hunting whites

I have been reading the heck out of Tony Russ' books lately, and trying to get a feel for tactics, and gear. I am wondering about whites. Do any of you guys still use them? I don't hear many guys talking about them. I was looking at a painter's suit, but was wondering what all you sheep hunting experts use. Are there any brands I should be looking at, or things I should be looking out for when I buy a set of whites. I will be going into the TMA on the opening day, so I am wondering if the sheep aren't pressured if it would even be worth it to have the extra weight in my pack.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I used a tyvex suit. It weights nothing. I brought one last year, but never used it except to seprate my meat from my other gear when packing it out. An extra trash bag would have worked better for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I have been reading the heck out of Tony Russ' books lately, and trying to get a feel for tactics, and gear. I am wondering about whites. Do any of you guys still use them? I don't hear many guys talking about them. I was looking at a painter's suit, but was wondering what all you sheep hunting experts use. Are there any brands I should be looking at, or things I should be looking out for when I buy a set of whites. I will be going into the TMA on the opening day, so I am wondering if the sheep aren't pressured if it would even be worth it to have the extra weight in my pack.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom I always carry them in my pack.I dont use them too often though. They dont really fool big rams too often so I dont rely on them.They do sometimes help you get past younger sheep and lambs.I have actually had a lamb and ewe come right up to me and the lamb sniffed the top of my head as my head was down.In that instance they worked as we harvested the 37.5" ram that was hanging with her.Another instance I was guiding a park hunt in the chugach and had sheep everywhere and needed to cross a high mountain valley so we donned our whites and crossed early and it worked,never spooked a sheep.As far as what kind I use the cheap painters kind just be sure to dirty them up a little.Also dont put them on and then strap a dark colored pack on your back looks kind of out of place,so make sure you put a dingy white game bag over you pack. If you are realy close crawl,not too many sheep walk upright.
    Dave

Mr. Russ talks about using a tyvex suit in his book. I believe he said he soaked it in water with a tea bag to stain it a little yellowish color so it would not be so bright white.

Don't need 'em.........................nuff said

I have used them with success,, they also work great at keeping the blood off your clothes while you dress out your sheep and they burn in a campfire.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Thanks kahahawai!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Don't need 'em.........................nuff said
    I have never sheep hunted before, but I am researching as much as possible to make an honest go at the DCUA tag I drew this year. I have read your advice and tips about sheep hunting and will put merit into your statement. It seems to me, at least in my mind, being "stalky" will serve you better to get within gun range. I can't imagine having to donne whites to close the gap, but I do realize they may have their purpose in the chase.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger15 View Post
    I have never sheep hunted before, but I am researching as much as possible to make an honest go at the DCUA tag I drew this year. I have read your advice and tips about sheep hunting and will put merit into your statement. It seems to me, at least in my mind, being "stalky" will serve you better to get within gun range. I can't imagine having to donne whites to close the gap, but I do realize they may have their purpose in the chase.
    Once you get a few sheep hunts under your belt, you will see that while staying out of sight is the best way to approach, but often in sheep country it is not possible to approach unseen.

I have killed sheep in whites.. I can say it has worked for me. YMMV

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks Mr. Steve! I still plan to pack a pair for sure, just to be on the safe side given the chance to use them. It is better to have them and not need them than to not have them and need them, right?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Once you get a few sheep hunts under your belt, you will see that while staying out of sight is the best way to approach, but often in sheep country it is not possible to approach unseen.

I have killed sheep in whites.. I can say it has worked for me. YMMV

Exactly what Mr Steve said.... Let me pose it to you this way if it meant closing the distance in open country to get a once in a lifetime shot on a tropy wouldnt be worth the try and a couple of ounces.Like I said I dont necessarily think they always work but they have worked for me more then once and I know how to stay out of sight in sheep country and have more then a few sheep hunts under my belt.

I pack a tyvek suit. Their cheap, don't weigh much, and may help you close the distance on a ram when no other option exists. As with all big game hunting, it's best not to be seen (especially moving) in the first place. I soaked mine in water with black tea bags as recommended by Tony. Just get it dirty so it's not "shiny" white.

Just for reference if your new to sheep hunting, the ram in my photo is NOT full curl and is NOT broomed off. I counted rings with the spotting scope. He's an 11 yr old Brooks Range dink . Sometimes a guy just gets hungry to harvest a legal ram - good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the help guys. I will pick up a set this week and throw them in the pack.

I've used them with success and think they have their place they've helped in a few situations. I even turned a sitka gear shirt inside out one time and I believe the white on the inside was enough to hold a ram long enough so I could shoot him. With that said it's extra junk in your pack and I'm with Kawahawai on this one just leave it at the house. If you decide to use tyvek though I did soak it in water with a little instant coffee and that seemed to color it up nice.

Which is prefered, tyvek or a painters suit. Seems like tyvek would be noisy...maybe that doesn't matter?

Quote Originally Posted by BRIG12 View Post
    Which is prefered, tyvek or a painters suit. Seems like tyvek would be noisy...maybe that doesn't matter?
    personally I just use the cheap one from depot not sure which they are just make sure they have the hood.I know there are others out there though.Dont forget to dirty them up, there are a few good ways mentioned on this thread. I used to just have hunters put them on and roll around in the dirt...lol much funnier then the coffee or tee method...
    Dave

I will have to make sure I get that on video when I tell my buddy the only way to get them ready to hunt is to roll around in the dirt.

Last year I used a tyvek suit and walked right up to seventy yards from a group of five rams. There was no way around it and had to just go strait at them. Two of us in suits walked and acted like we were feeding and actually laid down a couple of different times. Couldn't ever decide to shoot but watched them for a couple of hours deciding. The suits weigh nothing and I will never go without one again. I would actually bring two because they tear so easily. Just my two cents from someone who it has worked great for

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I will have to make sure I get that on video when I tell my buddy the only way to get them ready to hunt is to roll around in the dirt.
    please do cause it will be some funny **** just one of those times I wish I carried a video camera

Anyone use whites for goats?

Quote Originally Posted by hoonahtic View Post
    Anyone use whites for goats?
    Never used them but knew a guy in sitka that used them often. Worked just as well as they did for sheep. Got him real close...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast