Thread: Montague vs the Barren Islands vs Gore Point

Default Montague vs the Barren Islands vs Gore Point

I have a buddy with 33ft boat with twin 250's on it and is leaving it up to me where to go. He said our options are the Barren Islands, Gore point area or Montague Island. Where would you pick for a trip?

It depends how long the trip is. Why not hit all 3 on a Valdez to Homer trip? It is only gas.....

When? Where from? Why? What are you wanting to do? You left out Shuyak Is and Afognak Is the best of the best why?

We can launch out of Homer or Seward. Looking for some lings and better than chicken halibut. The reason he left out shuyak is he has not fished there enough to know where he is going.

All 3 are good areas with lots of others on the way and beyond, I normally let the weather and time available lead me.

kgpcr, "The reason he left out shuyak is he has not fished there enough to know where he is going." All the more reason to go. Like I said before Shuyak and Afognak are just like the Special Olympics everyone is a winner

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    kgpcr, "The reason he left out shuyak is he has not fished there enough to know where he is going." All the more reason to go. Like I said before Shuyak and Afognak are just like the Special Olympics everyone is a winner
    The only reasons the fishing is better is due to the distance, weather restricted and out of most charters range which relates to less pressure, that being said if you attempt a trip like that you could be a loser very quickly if anything goes wrong... you wont find help nearby and if the weather turns you could be stuck there or endure a long slow rough ride back. If you do want to attempt a trip over let me know, I am planning a few trips there this year and it is always safer with 2 boats. Like I said let the weather determine your destination, sometimes I end up at my second choice, Gore/Nuka area or 3rd choice Chugach area if conditions aren't favorable for getting out to the Barrens and beyond or making it to the Gore area.

I have spent many days around Shuyak and Afognak, from the back side of the Barrens with a 33ft gulf with twin 250hp it should only take 30min to get to Latex rocks! Anyone that fishes aroud here should know to watch the weather and take good care of thier boat! If two boats go great but that can be just as bad if you go with a wimp, or some one that feels the need to be the leader! If the WX starts to turn lots of places to hide and fish at the same time At Shuyak and Afognak you are a winner too!

Shuyak in August... the Silver fishing can be spectacular, as well as the Ling, Rockfish and Halibut

I agree, don't go to Montague. The fishing is better elsewhere

All three of those areas are going to have tremendous Halibut, Yelloweye and Lingcod fishing. It is up to you to

A.) Pick days when weather is good.

B.) Get good tides (not always a necessity but sure helps)

C.) Find the fish.

Pretty simple process
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.