Thread: Shipping meat from Galena

Default Shipping meat from Galena

I drew an early Koyokuk tag and my buddy drew a later season nowitna (SP) moose tag. We talked about going to the koyokuk and them shipping the meat from Galena to Anchorage if we get one. Then we would go up river and do his hunt on the nowitna. I was wondering on who people have used to ship meat back to Anchorage from Galena and if they have refers ect. Thanks in advance for any info.

When I looked into the logistics a few years ago.... they had no cold storage and shipped on certain days each week. So basically you would be better off finding out the schedule and plan on getting your meat there before the flight.

Things might be different and that was what I was told when I ask about shipping from there.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Everts air cargo will ship your moose for about 30 cents/pound from Galena to Anchorage. Their schedule from Gal-Anc is Tuesdays and Fridays, but I've seen it become Weds-Sat in the last few years. Everts does not have freezers in Galena, but they do have freezers in Anchorage. So yeah, drop your Koyukuk bull off in Galena on your way up to the Nowitna. Rent Verns pickup truck (or whoever runs it now) at the fuel shore place in Galena to take your moose from the beach up to the airstrip. I used that pick-up truck a couple years ago and it was like $20.

If your pard harvests a bull up the Nowitna, it's a tough call on taking the bull back downriver 75 whatever miles to Galena, vs taking it straight up to the bridge. If you guys go 2 for 2, it would be a nice problem to have!

When we want to ship meat out of Galena we bring the meat to them the day the plane is going to be there and wait until the plane has left with our meat on it. To many times I have seen rotting meat sitting under a blue tarp, tightly wrapped with plastic wrap sitting on a pallet in the sun with flys buzzing all around. If the plane is full than its first come first serve and your meat sits in the warm sun until the next scheduled flight. Good luck.

Everts... .25 per lb this past year. I used Charlie Greens son to hang the meat till ready to ship and then he took care of it. It is a bit of a nervous thing leaving all that meat, but those guy's were to notch all the way. Worked out the logistics back in town for meat pick up and all so it worked out well for us.
    Tony

Hagelund Aviation is flying a 5 or 6 days a week schedule from Anchorage to Galena. It is a mail flight and generally returns to Anch. empty. They will take Pax and freight on that return flight. Their cargo facility in Anch does have a freezer.
    However, since this is a mail flight, and the PO regularly makes changes to how mail is transported, it could change or end. The station manager in Galena is Shawn.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I would call Shawn. He is a great guy and he has even let me sleep in the hangar once. I would send nothing USPS. A friend sent a cooler of meat from Fairbanks to Nulato once, 2nd Day Air. It arrived ten days latter wrapped in 2 garbage bags, because after all, it became garbage.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012